Menu

3 yr old and letter sounds

Well, I have an unusual problem. My 3yr old knows the sounds letters make but not the names! We love starfall.com here. Is this so much of a problem for learning to read? Should I teach him the letter names first before starting to teach him to read? My concern is he will forget the sounds then. Any opinions?

Thank you.

It's not necessary to know letter names in order to read -- only their sounds. Ruth Beechick is an advocate of doing things in just this order, and I believe there are other 'experts' who also endorse this method. Your ds will need to know the letter names eventually, but it's not necessary to begin reading, imo.

Lisa

Thank you both. This is my first time teaching a child to read as my oldest went to a specialized private school and my second taught himself by this age. Not bragging, I promise! I am a little nervous. it is the only area I feel that way about. Thank you both again.

Just thought I'd let you know that this is how Spalding (Writing Road to Reading) encourages learning. That each "symbol" (letter) represents a different phonem and to not necessarily teach kids the names of each letter.

I may be remembering this a bit *off* as it has been a while since I read this part of the textbook but I do remember reading somewhere in the text to not teach the child the letter names initially. I remember this b/c dd already knew her alphabet when we started Spalding and I wondered what that would mean for us...