Menu

Mathematical Modeling and Computational Calculus

Have you (or your child, rather) used this program? I like the looks and sound of it, but I'm not sure how to really work it into our high school plan. It doesn't really seem like it would count in the place of calculus I or something like that and it's not a physics course (dd is taking physics right now anyway) so I really don't know what to call it. 

Is it meant to last a year or just a semester? 

Any help or review you could give would be much appreciated!

Interesting.  The one and only class ds took at the local high school was Math Modeling.  They didn't use a text - just a bunch of handouts - and it was a project based course, geared toward a competition 3/4 of the way through.  This looks like it covers basically the same material.  They did it after calculus and all the math was done with a computer program (I forget which).

The math involved resembled the differential equations I had back in the day.  In fact, one of their exercises was the first example in my ancient DiffEq book.

Now I wish I had kept the Calculus without Tears books.

It would not count in place of calculus. It would be a book to precede calculus or as a senior year course for a student who planned to take calculus at university. If a student planned to continue in math I would continue algebra and trigonometry review as a separate subject (possibly on alternate days) so that they had not lost the algebra skills they needed to take a more formal calculus class. I think it would be great for getting an understanding of the questions calculus is trying to answer and why we care about this subject. 

It would not count in place of calculus. It would be a book to precede calculus or as a senior year course for a student who planned to take calculus at university. If a student planned to continue in math I would continue algebra and trigonometry review as a separate subject (possibly on alternate days) so that they had not lost the algebra skills they needed to take a more formal calculus class. I think it would be great for getting an understanding of the questions calculus is trying to answer and why we care about this subject.

Oh definitely!  The class was fluff and an opportunity to hang with his friends.  (Though he did say that the computer simulations gave him a better understanding of what calculus was all about.)  If I had found this book earlier, I might have added it as an extra with their calculus.

It's a great supplement to precalculus or pre-AP physics (especially if you are doing Physics: Matter and Interactions, which also includes programming.

We have it, and it "feels like" a semester class to me, but DD has not really had much time to work on in this book.