Menu

7th grade science

elah

What did you use for 7th grade science and did you like it (why or why not)?  I have no clue what to use next year for science as we transition from elem. to HS. We are Catholic so I am open to any science curriculum that is Catholic, Christian, Secular, etc. Thanks!

My son is using the Exploring Creation with Physical Science by Jay Wile. 

Pros:  nice conversational tone, easy to use format, all experiments are easy to do at home and they actually work, clearly laid out for homeschool use.

Cons:  It's pretty easy.  It's kind of really really easy. It's the 8th grade book yet he covered a ton of it in Calvert 6th grade last year, and just daily life and such.  Could be less verbose too.

I don't know what we will do next year.  

(I believe Biology sometimes requires algebra as prerequisite, however not all Biology courses do.  We may have to take a gap year in science and use something Science related and save Biology for 9th grade depending on the prerequisite.  I can't really understand why Biology requires Algebra, as Usually it's chemistry that has a ton of math, but I remember reading that on several course descriptions somewhere..)

My son has three more chapters of BJU Science 6, and then he will begin Science 7. Of course we don't know our opinion of it yet, but science 6 has been excellent. I use the online videos with Mrs. Vick.

FYI the $99 sale for the BJU online classes is going on now for some amount of time.

Loesje22000, is this the textbook you were thinking of? It is what CHC uses for biology (8th or 9th grade). I was looking at their 7th grade life science book but was not sure about the quality.  

https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/ScienceAndMath/ScienceAndHealthTextsAndPrograms/MillerAndLevineBiology/product_info.html

EDIT: I just looked and Kolbe uses the same Miller and Levine biology book for high school.