Menu

Ikea Bookcases...

I need a floor to ceiling bookcase/shelves that is only about 6"-8" deep for paperbacks. I have a space about 42" wide that I'd like to put it. I've looked everywhere locally that I can think of. I checked Ikea online and didn't see one, but was told by someone on another board that they do have bookcases like I need in their stores. I'm too far away to just run to an Ikea, so I was wondering if any of you who have shopped there have seen a bookcase like I need. Or do you know of anywhere that sells shallow bookcases? I'm not up for a project of building one with dh at this time.;) I just want to buy one - inexpensively.

TIA

i am a big fan of container store "elfa" shelving. it is very customizable. you can pick your width and depth of shelving, and do any height you want. you can pick it up at a store or order it. you can pick from white or a couple of wood laminate colors. the hardward can be white or shiny silver metal color. if you call their customer service they can plan it out for you and help you order all the little pieces you will need to put it together. it is not a bookcase, it will not sit on the ground; rather it hangs.

Yes, check the Ikea CD/DVD storage. It's under the Living Room section on the Ikea website. I noticed at least a couple of CD/DVD shelves that had adjustable shelving, so you could easily adjust to paperback height.

Also, I know you said you'd prefer stand-alone shelves, but Ikea does have shelving that comes in a variety of widths and depths (and also with many different styles of wall brackets). I just bought a Tryggve shelf that is 7 1/2" x 31" for the wall above my son's desk. It's untreated wood, so we can stain or paint it to match his room. (And at $3.00 for the shelf it's not a bad deal -- although the price of the brackets do vary.)