Menu

Switching from Abeka phonics to All About Spelling

daisylynn

My almost 9 year old is struggling in spelling and reading. I have done Abeka phonics with all of my kids and 2 of them are crazy good spellers/readers. But my middle child is having some difficulty with both. And I think we're to the point that Abeka phonics is just frustrating to both of us.

It was recommended that I try AAS. I've looked at the program several times and just never made the jump. But I think we're ready! I do have a couple of questions though.

Going by the placement tests, he would start at level 3. Is it going to be easy for him to transition from the Abeka rules to AAS? It looks like it's taught a bit different, with different rules and I just don't want it to be confusin for him or for there to be gaps.

I see that the level 3 materials kit is $115, which includes the teacher's manual, student pages, and 2 readers. But the teacher's manual/student pages by themself are only $40 and then each reader is only $20/pc. So, it looks like it would be way cheaper to order it separately, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Thank you!!

Some kids can skip level 1, but I would not recommend starting any higher than 2. AAS teaches very differently than Abeka. We did Abeka phonics K and 1 and then switched to AAS 1. We went quickly through AAS 1-2 but it was definitely worth doing.

The level 3 kit that is $115 is All About Reading. All About Spelling is $40 and does not have readers.

Are you looking at AAR or AAS?

I am assuming you are talking about All About Reading.  The Teachers manual ($38) is sold separate of the student pack ($48), so the kit is definitely the better deal.  If you haven't previously used AAS or AAR, you will also need the interactive kit (either basic or deluxe - the deluxe includes the bag & the divider box.  You don't have to have these 2 elements, they are just extras.  We use plain recipe boxes from the dollar store and have no need for a bag)

I am not familiar with A Beka phonics, so I can't compare them.  AAR works wonderfully here though and we love it.  We also use AAS.  They compliment each other so nicely and they both teach very different skills.  AAS reinforces phonics, but AAR really helps with fluency.

Some kids can skip level 1, but I would not recommend starting any higher than 2. AAS teaches very differently than Abeka. We did Abeka phonics K and 1 and then switched to AAS 1. We went quickly through AAS 1-2 but it was definitely worth doing.

The level 3 kit that is $115 is All About Reading. All About Spelling is $40 and does not have readers.

Are you looking at AAR or AAS?

Ahhh! I didn't realize they were two different things! Oops! 

I was looking for AAS. But now I'm wondering if I should get AAR as well. He reads, and does pretty well, but still gets stumped up at times. His spelling is definitely more of a problem area though. Would it be best to get both or does it sound like we'd only need AAS?

And even though he's 9 and the placement test thingy has him starting level 3, you'd still recommend level 2 (or 1 even)? 

Thanks!

Ahhh! I didn't realize they were two different things! Oops! 

I was looking for AAS. But now I'm wondering if I should get AAR as well. He reads, and does pretty well, but still gets stumped up at times. His spelling is definitely more of a problem area though. Would it be best to get both or does it sound like we'd only need AAS?

And even though he's 9 and the placement test thingy has him starting level 3, you'd still recommend level 2 (or 1 even)? 

Thanks!

Whether you do both AAR and AAS or just spelling really depends on what skills you want to work on. Here's an article on the differences between AAR and AAS that might help you decide. 

The placement test is *only* for reading. The spelling program is an incremental type of program--each level assumes that the student has mastered the material in the previous level. That means not only how to spell the words, but all of the rules and concepts that also apply to longer and harder words. For example, in level 1 when he learns why cat uses a C but kept uses a K, he's also learning a foundational rule that helps him spell words like concentrate. Kids learn when to double f, l, and s at the end of words, when to use S or ES to make words plural, how to know whether to use K or CK at the end of words, and so on. So, most kids start with Level 1, but you can fast-track if he already knows all of the words. My kids only needed a few weeks at that level, but it was time well spent. HTH some! 

And now I'm really confused! If I were to do both AAS and AAR, what is everything I would need?

Both programs use 2 things: An interactive Kit, and the Level materials.

So, for spelling you'd start with the AAS Level 1 materials plus a spelling interactive kit--follow the 2-step process on this page. 

If you decide you want reading as well, you won't need another full interactive kit--just the reading divider cards, and either the AAR box or a box you provide. If you scroll down on the reading interactive kit page, you can see the individual items at the bottom. 

You would need the AAR 3 materials--there's almost no crossover between those and the AAS materials.

HTH some!

Whether you do both AAR and AAS or just spelling really depends on what skills you want to work on. Here's an article on the differences between AAR and AAS that might help you decide. 

The placement test is *only* for reading. The spelling program is an incremental type of program--each level assumes that the student has mastered the material in the previous level. That means not only how to spell the words, but all of the rules and concepts that also apply to longer and harder words. For example, in level 1 when he learns why cat uses a C but kept uses a K, he's also learning a foundational rule that helps him spell words like concentrate. Kids learn when to double f, l, and s at the end of words, when to use S or ES to make words plural, how to know whether to use K or CK at the end of words, and so on. So, most kids start with Level 1, but you can fast-track if he already knows all of the words. My kids only needed a few weeks at that level, but it was time well spent. HTH some! 

Thank you! That makes sense. Thanks for that link as well!!

Both programs use 2 things: An interactive Kit, and the Level materials.

So, for spelling you'd start with the AAS Level 1 materials plus a spelling interactive kit--follow the 2-step process on this page. 

If you decide you want reading as well, you won't need another full interactive kit--just the reading divider cards, and either the AAR box or a box you provide. If you scroll down on the reading interactive kit page, you can see the individual items at the bottom. 

You would need the AAR 3 materials--there's almost no crossover between those and the AAS materials.

HTH some!

So I don't need the Spelling Interactive kit AND the Reading Interactive kit?? I talked to someone from there the other day and I was under the impression that I did. Maybe I misunderstood?

So all I would need is:

Spelling interactive kit

Spelling 1 materials

Reading 2 material

Reading divider cards

2 boxes, one for spelling, one for reading

I just want to make sure I have that right. I was just getting ready to order with both basic interactive kits.

Thanks!!

So I don't need the Spelling Interactive kit AND the Reading Interactive kit?? I talked to someone from there the other day and I was under the impression that I did. Maybe I misunderstood?

So all I would need is:

Spelling interactive kit

Spelling 1 materials

Reading 2 material

Reading divider cards

2 boxes, one for spelling, one for reading

I just want to make sure I have that right. I was just getting ready to order with both basic interactive kits.

Thanks!!

Sorry I was out of town (MIL is on hospice).

You've got it, and you can certainly use boxes you already have--great way to save some money. HTH!