Menu

New Year's Celebrations Around the World

ddcrook

In my family we like to spend New Year's Eve observing the coming of the new year around the world.  For example, when it is approaching midnight in Beijing (10:00 am our time), we'll count down and then yell, "Happy New Year, Beijing!"  

This year I would like to add a few activities that are traditional New Year's celebrations for various countries.  I've done some research online and have found some good stuff, but I'd like to hear from people who live (or have lived) outside of the US.  How do you celebrate New's Years where you are?

ETA:  If you serve a certain food on New Year's, I'd like to hear about that too!

In Kyrgyzstan everyone would shoot fireworks out of the windows of all the high-rise apartment buildings and off the roofs, but that is probably not legal where you are, unfortunately.  It's lots of fun. ;)  Those were our most exciting New Year's celebrations.  New Year's is a huge holiday there, but it's a lot like Christmas with decorated trees, gifts, lights, and a visit from Ded Moroz/Ayaz Ata.

New Year's in Mexico is a fun day, but not terribly important since it's between Christmas and Kings Day and part of the 12 days of Christmas.  A lot of people go on vacation if they can.