Menu

Writing Tales questions

April in WA

I've looked at the samples online for both levels and have two questions.

Does WT go deeper into literary terms like simile, foreshadowing, etc.?

Are the notes at the bottom of a lesson marked with an asterisk telling the teacher special items they will need for the next lesson? How often does this occur? I would prefer something that is basically pick up and teach.

Blessings,

April in WA

We're halfway through WT2. It does not cover literary terms. It does have copywork, grammar, vocabulary, & outlining. It does not have any asteriks or planning ahead notes, but the teacher's guide spells everything out. All you'd have to do is look ahead a few days to see what's coming up. But, there's really very, very little prep work, and to make it even easier, the author has a download of the appendix pages available. So, usually if there is prep work, it's just printing pages off the computer. It does have games & activities, but, again, the prep work is minimal. I love this program! My ds loves it & it is so easy to use.

By the way - if you're looking for something with literary terms, I plan on using Figuratively Speaking Using Classic Literature to Teach 40 Literary Terms. I saw it recommended on the boards here (I think it was LoriD who recommended it, and she always has great ideas). I haven't used it yet, but plan to next year. It says its for grades 5-8, and looks like a great introduction to all the terms. HTH!

Like Herding said, the literary terms and whatnot in WT2 are pretty basic (plot, conflict, resolution, etc.). Your main focus is the writing and grammar as it can be applied to the writing. Prep is minimal, very pick up and go. The format is the same each week, so once you get the hang of it, you just read the script and you're off. The games vary, but they're not hard to prep and can even be worked around or revamped if you happen to forget to print off stuff (cough, covering finger-pointing toward me).