Menu

I have to share this 6th grade science story (Science Explorer)

I am very insecure about science. I always found it boring and stayed away from it completely after high school biology. So, this year, we are using Science Explorer Astronomy and TOPS Rocks & Minerals. SE gets good reviews on these boards.

Tonight, I asked the mom of ds's teammate if I could take a look at the science book they use in ps. And, it's SE Earth Science. It was quite a relief to see that at least I am providing the equivalent of what ds would get in ps. And, it actually made me think that I needed to revise my low opinion of ps. At least, the science materials are decent.

First, I would like to say that I am sure you are doing a fine job but I do agree...when I here I am doing something that the ps is doing it does give me a little sense of relief. :)

Hope this isn't a hi-jack of your post but where can I check out the Science Explorer Curriculum? I am struggling with what we will use next year for Science. My son LOVES science and I am trying to find something that would work for him....this sounds interesting.

Thank you and sorry if I took your post... :(

Alison

Hi Alison,

Science Explorer is designed for 6th-8th grade by Prentice Hall. Here is a link:

http://phcatalog.pearson.com/program_multiple.cfm?site_id=6&discipline_id=808&subarea_id=5383&program_id=21981

The PH website is difficult to navigate. I called the 800 number and got a catalog. Then, whenever I can't find something on the website, I call and act real stupid. They are generally very helpful.

I buy the student's text, the teacher's manual, and the guided reading and study workbook. I need the teacher's manual because the answers to the review and test questions are in there. I don't know if I will continue to buy the workbook, because the answers are only in a very expensive all-in-one teacher's manual. We have the Lab Zone CD, but I don't know that I use it often enough to justify the cost.

Many people buy SE used on ebay, at bookstores, and Good Will. Angie W in Texas is the expert, imo, on Science Explorer. You can search her posts to find more information as well.

Good luck!