Menu

found a free high school physics text online

Hello all,

I found this free high school physics text online.  I honestly just happened across this and have no idea where it's from or if it's any good.  Is anyone familiar with this?

I'm just always looking for more resources to keep in our toolbox.  I was just curious if anyone knew about this.

http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst/fhsstphy.pdf

Interesting. I haven't seen a physics textbook before that starts with waves and optics, though I suppose I haven't seen all that many. It seems like it's always either kinematics or forces.

Thanks for posting.

ETA: It looks like it's still in progress. I see a number of "Note to self" comments about things to improve/add.

That's interesting.  I couldn't even find where it was from.  Do you think it's a reputable source?

If you go to the link that is provided on the front page

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fhsst/

you will find that it is a South African project to provide free open source science texts in accordance with the South African syllabus , for students in rural areas

A great goal. Unfortunately, with any such project, there is no quality control - it can be fantastic, or it can have lots of errors.

I do not have time to read through the text in detail, but took a quick look. Text seems sound, but lacks problems; some topics are not covered, and it has very few visuals.

It is probably a great resource for students without access to books - but in a country where you can purchase a used science textbook for a few $ and have plenty of choice, I see no advantage in using this curriculum.

If you go to the link that is provided on the front page

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fhsst/

you will find that it is a South African project to provide free open source science texts in accordance with the South African syllabus , for students in rural areas

A great goal. Unfortunately, with any such project, there is no quality control - it can be fantastic, or it can have lots of errors.

I do not have time to read through the text in detail, but took a quick look. Text seems sound, but lacks problems; some topics are not covered, and it has very few visuals.

It is probably a great resource for students without access to books - but in a country where you can purchase a used science textbook for a few $ and have plenty of choice, I see no advantage in using this curriculum.

I'm awaiting your homeschooler friendly science books.  Time is ticking away here lady.... :closedeyes:

I'm awaiting your homeschooler friendly science books.  Time is ticking away here lady.... :closedeyes:

sorry... gotta pass on that. Working full time and homeschooling is all I can manage.

lso, I do not really feel called to produce homeschooler friendly science books, as every single piece of curriculum I have used that was designed specifically for homeschoolers was a completely flop for my kids.

Don't wait.