Menu

Hands on Equations Verbal Problems Book

SeaConquest

Our charter school has the HOE Verbal Problems Book that I can checkout. What else would I need to buy with this to use the program? Do I need a physical kit or could I use the iPad apps instead? Any feedback on the apps vs. the physical program? Thanks so much!

I haven't used apps, so no feedback there.  However, we are using the verbal problems book right now.  While we started off using the manipulatives from the physical program (after having gone quickly through the program), we quickly ditched them with dd13 and started using normal algebra. (It just clicked for her better at that point.)  I'd say it depends on how you want to use it...app would be fine, or just using algebra on a whiteboard. Dd started off drawing the representation of the manipulatives, using HOE method.  But once she understood algebra better, it was easier to just write letters than draw.   Its a bunch of word problems you can work out however you best wish to do it.  (The only caveat is that the solutions are with the HOE method, so you need to be familiar enough with that method to understand the solutions.)  Physical manipulatives might make more sense for a kinesthetic learner....app is probably fine for a visual learner.  However, if you haven't been through the initial program, I don't know how you would understand the solutions.  Hopefully the app covers that, but I never looked at it, since I've had the physical program on hand for years.

This is for your accelerated 5-year old? I would definitely go with a physical model. The app is really nice for playing with the concepts and independent work...but it just isn't the same.

I originally bought the basic kit, which comes with the necessary pawns, number cubes (they are different than regular dice), a DVD, and a laminated page with a 'balance' on it. I actually made Alex a 3d balance out of an old vase and some wood pieces. Now we have the proper teacher's demo balance, but that isn't necessary if you are even the least bit crafty and want one:)

The benefit of that starter package is really step by step problems and solutions that introduce you to the way the system is set up. There are some quirks that I wouldn't have seen the beauty of without the initial steps laid out. It would be pretty difficult to get that just from the verbal problems book (although that is definitely the meat of the program!)

If you decide to try and make a go of it without purchasing the initial basic package, I am happy to give you a list of materials that you will need to put together. And Alex made a handful of videos working the basic types of problems on the balance that I can link you to:) he might like to see a child about his age working the problems!

If I can help, send me a pm...