Menu

SAT and ACT? Take both or just one?

I have read that some kids do better on one than the other. My own son did better on the SAT (as evidenced by the score equivalency). All the colleges we looked at would use scoring equivalency to convert an SAT score into an ACT score. The midwest seems to like the ACT better than the SAT.

I have read that some kids do better on one than the other. My own son did better on the SAT (as evidenced by the score equivalency). All the colleges we looked at would use scoring equivalency to convert an SAT score into an ACT score. The midwest seems to like the ACT better than the SAT.

So, what did you do then? Wait to see the scores before you sent them and sent the one they did best on? Thanks for helping me understand this.

More and more colleges rely on the SAT more than the ACT. SAT determines the ability of the student to think and to figure out things, whereas ACT just tells what they have learned.

I think if we do only one, it will be the SAT. I had dd do both. Then the school she went to (a non-traditional overseas college) didn't want either. They wanted a GED. :glare: We talked them into taking her SAT scores instead of the GED. But, my boys are applying to traditional colleges, so this is a new ballgame for us.

So, what did you do then? Wait to see the scores before you sent them and sent the one they did best on? Thanks for helping me understand this.

Ds took practice tests for both the SAT and ACT at home. It was clear from those results that the SAT was a much stronger score for him, so he only sat for that test. If they had been close, he would have done both, but the SAT was sufficient for him.

Yes, he took the tests, but didn't send scores. He started taking the ACT yearly beginning at the end of 8th grade. He only took the SAT twice - once in 10th and once in 12th. The SAT will send *all* scores whereas the ACT will send any scores you choose. I wasn't worried that his 10th grade SAT was lower than the 12th because that would be a natural progression. He took the ACT in the fall of 12th to see how high he could get it, then he took the SAT which came out higher.

Yes, he took the tests, but didn't send scores. He started taking the ACT yearly beginning at the end of 8th grade. He only took the SAT twice - once in 10th and once in 12th. The SAT will send *all* scores whereas the ACT will send any scores you choose. I wasn't worried that his 10th grade SAT was lower than the 12th because that would be a natural progression. He took the ACT in the fall of 12th to see how high he could get it, then he took the SAT which came out higher.

Thanks, Cynthia. It's so helpful to hear others' experiences. BTW, I believe SAT is changing their policy again so that students can selectively send scores.

the PSAT is a good practice/indicator of how they will do on the SAT. For the ACT, you can check a prep book out of your library.

It used to be that east coast schools required/preferred the SAT, but our recent experience on college tours and through looking on http://www.collegeboard.com is that most schools now take either test. It is a good idea to check your school(s) of choice, though, and also any scholarship programs your dc might be applying to to see if they require a specific test.

Unless you find specific requirements, I say to have your dc take the one that he/she does better on and then call it done. For my son, that was the ACT. Last year, ds's junior year, we both became fed up with the amount of time he had to spend preparing for testing instead of learning interesting things in his courses.

JM2Cents,

Brenda

Ds took practice tests for both the SAT and ACT at home. It was clear from those results that the SAT was a much stronger score for him, so he only sat for that test.

We did likewise with our daughter. She too fared better with the SAT.

Regards,

Kareni

Anyone know how they convert it?

The SAT has recently changed this policy. Now they just send the scores you select. http://www.collegeboard.com

This is true; however, the policy will not go into effect until sometime in February.

From New SAT Score-Reporting Policy:

"The College Board has approved an important change to the current SAT score-reporting policy. This new policy will give students the freedom to send the scores by sitting (test date) that they feel best represent their ability to colleges and universities, at no additional cost. Designed to reduce student stress and improve the test-day experience, this new score-reporting feature will launch in early February 2009, and will therefore be available to students participating in the March 2009 test administration.

Any student who has taken an SAT prior to the policy launch or who registers for the SAT after launch will be able to take advantage of this new policy. The students who have taken tests prior to the launch can use the score-reporting feature retroactively. Additionally, this new score-reporting feature will be optional to students. If a student chooses not to select their scores, all of their scores will be sent. "

Regards,

Kareni