Menu

Math in Focus Grade 2 editions...and questions

Blessed with seven

Okay, trying to find someone through Saxon Homeschool to answer questions is very difficult.  First of all..I am guessing, since Rainbow Resource sells a homeschool "kit" for these books with a HS Answer Key, that the Teacher Edition (very expensive) is NOT necessary in 2nd grade, I am also guessing since I will be working with him an answer key is not necessary, just the Student Text and Student workbook?  I found some student texts fairly cheap but they say 2009, I know they have a 2013 edition, are the content different.  I am confused and the lady I talked to at the Saxon Homeschool number was not very informative on whether or not content had been changed.  UGH!  Can someone help with editions and if I get 2009 Student texts, if the "new" workbooks would work with them. 

Thanks! 

OH...another question, are the textbooks and workbooks easier to work with than the Singapore Math, does it have more info on concepts and understanding them w/out the TE book?

Kim

I do not believe much of anything changed at all in the content of the books vs. the workbooks with the exception that the 2013 version says Common Core and at higher levels there MAY be an additional topic or two that are covered or a couple of topics at a higher level are covered in a different sequence.  I don't THINK anything changed for 2nd grade.

As for needing a Teacher's manual, you probably wouldn't at that level and I know that many use it at higher levels without one.  Honestly, though, I found the TE a HUGE help in teaching from 3rd grade on.  It has great suggestions for ways to approach the problems when a child struggles or they really get the material and are moving quickly (need more challenge) plus some great hands on activities and games/puzzles/logic problems you can add in using a dry erase board/manipulatives.  Makes the program so much richer. Plus a zillion other things I found incredibly useful.  I rarely needed it for the answers but I loved it for how it helps me make the program richer.  Worth the money if you can afford it.  Look for used versions, though.  Amazon has so many of the support materials used but like new.  I bought almost everything that way.

And IMHO, yes, MiF is easier to work with than Singapore but I still think you get more out of the program if you include a TE.