Menu

Favorite grammar and logic stage version of Pilgrim's Progress?

katalaska

The Evergreen Wood by Parry is a lovely illustrated book for ages Kinder-5th grade. It is a reworking of Pilgrim's Progress (i.e., it is its own story, heavily influenced by Pilgrim's Progress) with the main character of Christopher Mouse journeying through a woodland setting to reach the Evergreen Wood.

the original language. It is a simplified version. The used the original text, but cut it way down. It looks like a picture book, but the language makes it a read aloud. We read it aloud when ds was quite young (4 or 5 y.o.) and he loved it! I would say it's appropriate on up to at least 12 y.o. I will warn you that one or two of the illustrations are quite evil. My son was okay with it, but some children might not be.

We have two others, that I have not read, but my son has. He is now 9 yo, almost 10 and is a good reader. Here they are:

Little Pilgrim's Progress by Helen L. Taylor (Moody Publishers) Ages 6-12. Though for the younger end of that age range, it would definitely be a read aloud. But isn't Pilgrim's Progress the kind of book you want to read aloud with your kids anyway, not matter what their age?

The other book is Illustrated Christian Classics The Pilgrim's Progress, retold by Dan LarsenBarbour are the publishers, no author is listed. This one has large print & is much thinner than the book by Helen Taylor, so I think it is probably quite a bit more simplified.

All three would be for grammar stage.

Blessings,

Sherri