Menu

light sensors- FLL

kwg

(which incidentally does anyone else refer to FLL all the time as First Language Lessons?)

How do you make it work!?!?!?! I have watched everything I can find- read, etc.  But it is still gets caught on gray areas.

And the numbers are so high? I thought they would be between 0-100 but they are nearly 300-600.  Whats that about?

If these questions are stupid, I apologize.  I know nothing about mindstorms and have been thrust into a more active role than I anticipated.

ANyone know?

I feel really bad bc the kids on our team were all excited in the beginning of the season and now they all dread it.  They like the project part but the robot- nothing seems to be working for them and it is discouraging.  They know how to program but since it was acting all wacky I thought I would do a little research on that.

Have you used a calibration program? This one is the one my team used in the past (not my code). How dark are the grey areas? What exactly are you trying to do? I could probably help more with video of the robot and screenshots of the code you're using. I get the frustration of the robot; it wasn't so long ago that I spent 5+ hours fixing one problem with Mindstorms coding (and now I still do that, just with bigger robots). I'd be happy to give you my email address if you'd like to send along some more information.

Look into calibration, you can make it so the values are always between 0 and 100, 0 being black, 100 being white. If you are not calibrating, you need to be particularly careful as to where you put the sensor and make sure it is shielded from outside lights. Oh and make sure you use "reflected light" as your choice. If you get consistent reading without calibration, you are fine, you just need to adjust the threshold you use so you don't get caught on gray areas.

Are you using EV3 or NXT. If you are using NXT let me know I can help if you want to try to calibrate it (this is my 4th year coaching FLL) but we just upgraded to EV3 programming (with nxt bricks) with a mostly rookie team so they are not there yet and I haven't looked into calibration with the new language. 

Thanks!  

Todays meeting went better bc the kids used distance to do the missions- and they completed 2 1/2 that way.  Which is more than we have done so far. sigh.  It is so frustrating and even today after they had it running well it went all haywire.  

It is a comedy of errors. lol.

I will check into that program, thank you so much!

If that does not work I might email you Pixie.  We are using NXT.

Thanks again!