Menu

Difference between a dygraphic child and one that is not...

Something happened this morning that I realized might help illustrate to parents of kids that struggle, especially with writing, just how much the physical act can impede progress if we as a parent let it.  

My children are both dyslexic.  Only one is dysgraphic.  This morning we were doing verbal speed drills in math (I don't recommend these for kids that struggle with math because of a learning challenge unless they actually do well with them or ask for them but mine like them now so we are doing them.)

DS, my dysgraphic son, finished the verbal math facts speed drill 20 seconds faster than his sister had, with the same set of problems (they did not do them at the same time or when the other one was even in the room so they were not listening to the answers or comparing each other's time which can be hurtful).  Both did well.  DS was just faster.

When we then did those same math problems as a written speed drill, DD finished in 1:17.  DS finished in 3:54.  Did DD know her facts better than he did? Not at all.  But it takes him much longer to write than she does.  A timed speed drill created for a neurotypical child where there is a time limit that has to be beaten would be disastrous for my son (and was terribly demoralizing when he was in school).  And it would not even remotely reflect his actual knowledge and fluency with his math facts.  He would flunk it every time, even though he knows the material well.

Instead, he charts improvement in his time compared to himself and no one else.  He can see that as remediation works, his handwriting speed and accuracy are improving.  He can also see that his math facts speed is improving.  Comparing his written work to any NT kid would be a poor assessment of his abilities.  So I don't.  

I post this to illustrate to parents of children who struggle with writing that inability to write something quickly or clearly does not necessarily indicate that the child doesn't understand or has not internalized the material and it certainly is not an immediate indication that they are lazy and just don't care.  It may mean that the physical act of writing out that knowledge is not smooth (which can be caused by MANY underlying issues) and needs scaffolding (like acting as a scribe) while possible avenues for remediation might be looked into.  And a dysgraphic child cannot help this.  It is not willful disobedience.  They really ARE trying.  But if they are told "this is easy' and "why don't you just do the work" when that work is exceedingly hard, they may very well develop a bad attitude and that attitude could last a lifetime.

Hugs and peace to all parents, but especially to those with kids that struggle.  

Best wishes.