Menu

Is the first module of Apologia General Science indicative of the rest of the course?

We made it through the first module but it wasn't very fun. We like science but this felt laborious. We're using the student notebook as well. I don't want to get too far in before considering something else, though I don't know what else I would use.

We made it through the first module but it wasn't very fun. We like science but this felt laborious. We're using the student notebook as well. I don't want to get too far in before considering something else, though I don't know what else I would use.

I'm not a fan of Apologia's General Science. I really like the biology and chemistry as well as many of the elementary series but General Science for us was vacuum dust dry. After working through it with my oldest, I ditched it for the rest. I would skim through the book and see if it's something that you want to do this year. I also wasn't crazy about the idea of, well, general science. A half year on anatomy, several chapters on scientists and history of science and scientific process. The elementary anatomy book is way more interesting and I'd rather have my dc read well-written biographies of scientists than the GS text. 

Just MHO. 

Lisa

I'm not a fan of Apologia's General Science. I really like the biology and chemistry as well as many of the elementary series but General Science for us was vacuum dust dry. After working through it with my oldest, I ditched it for the rest. I would skim through the book and see if it's something that you want to do this year. I also wasn't crazy about the idea of, well, general science. A half year on anatomy, several chapters on scientists and history of science and scientific process. The elementary anatomy book is way more interesting and I'd rather have my dc read well-written biographies of scientists than the GS text. 

Just MHO. 

Lisa

Thanks Lisa.  I'm not a fan so far either but I think I need to make it work this year.  We did mostly A Beka Science for elementary and I felt like we needed one more general study to cover the basics in more depth before heading into Physical Science next year.  What I'm doing with my younger one (and what I'd do with my older one if I could go back) is a deeper study of the different topics individually.  I suppose I could just choose the topics that we need more work in and do those modules with supplemental resources to make it more well rounded.  Hmmmmm.   :huh: