Menu

Math in Focus -v- Singapore Math

I sold the Singapore I owned, so I can't compare directly.  I do still purchase Singapore Challenging Word Problems and FAN math for extra practice here. I've used MIF for several years.

I'm not sure what you're asking in regards to left to right and vocabulary! My understanding is that MIF is the SIngapore Math My Pals are Here program printed for distribution to public schools (Saxon Publishing I think). It corresponds well with Singapore. I've never had any issue using the Singapore books as supplements to our MIF. I haven't noticed a vocab difference either. MIF is very visually appealing. I've heard it avoids conceptual leaps, though I'm not entirely sure how many of those really exist in the other Singapore curriculum.

I found this thread here comparing Singapore Standards with Math in Focus and Math Mammoth. She does talk some about vocabulary. It might be helpful? http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/207572-comparing-math-in-focus-singapore-primary-std-and-math-mammoth/

I sold the Singapore I owned, so I can't compare directly.  I do still purchase Singapore Challenging Word Problems and FAN math for extra practice here. I've used MIF for several years.

I'm not sure what you're asking in regards to left to right and vocabulary! My understanding is that MIF is the SIngapore Math My Pals are Here program printed for distribution to public schools (Saxon Publishing I think). It corresponds well with Singapore. I've never had any issue using the Singapore books as supplements to our MIF. I haven't noticed a vocab difference either. MIF is very visually appealing. I've heard it avoids conceptual leaps, though I'm not entirely sure how many of those really exist in the other Singapore curriculum.

I found this thread here comparing Singapore Standards with Math in Focus and Math Mammoth. She does talk some about vocabulary. It might be helpful? http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/207572-comparing-math-in-focus-singapore-primary-std-and-math-mammoth/

With "Singapore Math" when you're doing a Subtraction problem with regrouping, you start in the Thousands column or whatever and work to the ones.... 

With the American version you start in the ones column, and work towards the left. (Typical American)

With "Singapore Math" when you're doing a Subtraction problem with regrouping, you start in the Thousands column or whatever and work to the ones.... 

With the American version you start in the ones column, and work towards the left. (Typical American)

Oh!  They teach right to left (1's first) I'm nearly certain. I don't have my 2nd grade stuff accessible right now to check. You can view the entire text/all the materials free online. Subtraction with regrouping would be in 1st semester of 2nd I believe. edited to add: http://forms.hmhco.com/virtualsampling/