Menu

Number of transcripts to CommonApp

MariaT

Hi,

I am getting confused about the  number of transcripts I will be sending to the Common App and here's why. (I think) I also am unable to find an answer in the CA help material.

Oldest DS has taken classes at EPGY, NU-CTD, and a local college. So I have arranged for those institutions to send their transcripts directly to the schools to which he is applying. Which means they are NOT going through the Common App. So I don't have to list those transcripts as transcripts I am sending, correct?

I understand that the way the CA works is that they will hold onto the student's application and not release it until ALL the pieces of the application are complete-- this means all LORs, my counselor letter, and our school profile, correct? And transcripts. I have listed the other institutions in the part where it asks what other colleges he has attended, so the schools know to look for their transcripts-- in their mail and not in the CA.

(EPGY now uses Parchment, but after an hour of poking around I couldn't figure out how to send their transcript to the CA, so instead I just had them send it to the schools directly. EPGY now says that it takes 2-3 weeks to process their transcripts, and I didn't want them to hold up the CA)

Okeydokey-- so as far as the CA is concerned, the only transcript I am only providing is my own transcript. So far so good.

So if I say I will provide 3 transcripts-- does that mean 1. the one we have now, with all courses through jr. year, 2. the midyear report, and 3. the final report?

Or does it mean I am providing 3 transcripts right now, one of which is mine and 2 from other institutions?

I am sure that this is a simple question, but I don't want my misunderstanding to cause the CA to hold back the application.

THANKS for any wisdom/comforting pats

Maria

The number of transcripts does NOT refer to the updating at mid-year+final; it would still be one transcript, even if you submit updated versions at a later point.

Since the other organizations are not providing a transcript to the Common App, you would select that you are submitting ONE transcript - yours. If the other institutions send theirs directly to the schools, it is irrelevant for the CA.

A scenario where you may want to choose to submit more than one transcript could be, for example, if you submit a course description file as transcript number 2.

"Since the other organizations are not providing a transcript to the Common App"

So, CAN the other organizations send transcripts direct to Common App?  Or only we as guidance counselors can do that?  It would save some $$ if dd's dual enrollment transcript only had to be sent to one place (the Common App).  We have to pay a fee for each school to send it to.

Also, does everyone here put their course descriptions in as an additional transcript?  Or just do 1 transcript, with course descriptions on pages 2 thru whatever?

A HUGE thank you to all of you who have been through the CA process and are taking the time to share your knowledge!!!

Also, does everyone here put their course descriptions in as an additional transcript?  Or just do 1 transcript, with course descriptions on pages 2 thru whatever?

I uploaded 2 transcripts.  The first was my transcript and the second was my course descriptions.  It seems that most folks did that last year. 

HTH!

ETA:

I sent CC transcripts directly from CC to the desired institution.  Ours are free, so it was no big deal.  I don't know that they can be sent to the CA.  I never heard any discussion of it last year.  Wouldn't it be great if you could send CC transcripts, ACT/SAT scores to the CA?  No way ACT/SAT would give up their extra $$$ though.

If your child did classes with an institution that uses Parchment.com to store and send transcripts, the CA allows Parchment uses to directly upload the transcript.  The way I found out is that I went looking for the EPGY transcript at Stanford, and the link directed me to Parchment.

You have to set up an account at Parchment, and send the transcript from there.  I could not figure out how to do it from Parchment, so I chose to have the transcripts sent directly to the schools.

But you only have to do this if your originating transcript is being handled by Parchment.

Maria