Menu

Which calculus to take next

Our dc is taking Integral Calculus now, so the next step is Vector Calculus  -- or so I thought.  The Community College has four courses in calculus: Differential, Integral, "Calculus" (equivalent to "Infinite Series and Sequences" in the State University's catalog that it has partnership with), and another "Calculus".  At first glance, it seems the #3 "Calculus" is what follows Integral, because in the catalog they say it's the third in the calculus sequence.  But the #4 "Calculus" has integral as prerequisite too, so it looks as if the student gets to choose either one after Integral.  I know very little about calculus, but the #4 looks like traditional vector calculus, whereas the #3 may be something specific to engineering programs, as they say it satisfies not only the aforementioned "Infinite Series and Sequences" but also the State U's MTH306 "Matrix and Power Series Methods" requirement for engineering major.  (I don't know how, but that's what they say on the course description.)  I wish I could cite their descriptions, but since I can't, would any math-savy people help me the difference between the #3 and #4 "Calculus"?  (Oh, should I say "Calculi?")  FYI, our dc is going to major in geology, hoping to pursue a graduate degree, specializing in glaciology.  We are already told by State U that Integral is all you need for undergrad degree for geology major.  Well, then should our dc just drop after Integral and do something like statistics instead?

I did internet search, but it looks like Cal 1 = Differential, Cal 2 = Integral, Cal 3 = Vector everywhere.  Since dc is not a full-time student at CC or State U, we can't get any advising.  Could anybody please help?  

Thank you,

Midori

Can you please either post your CC's name in the thread or PM me so that I can read the course descriptions?

At some universities, calculus is split into 4 3-credit courses rather than 3 4-5 credit courses, and my gut instinct is that that is what you're running into, but I'd really like to read them before I give advice.

You know, that's what I thought when I was internet searching.  Some schools do split Diff + Int + Vec into four courses instead of three.  But then, both Differential and Integral are equivalent to 4 credits each at State U's catalog (although CC's catalog that I linked to below says 5 credits somehow).  It's really weird.  Could this mean dc has to do up to #3 in order to cover the same material as AP Calculus BC?  In any case, here are the links.  Hope they work.

The #3 is http://sis.linnbenton.edu/sis/prod/lbw_sched.P_DrawCRNDetail?v_CRN=20191&v_Term=201402&v_Role=

The #4 is http://sis.linnbenton.edu/sis/prod/lbw_sched.P_DrawCRNDetail?v_CRN=20192&v_Term=201402&v_Role=

Another point: I checked the math sequence for engineering majors for State U (not because it's dc's intended major, but because I thought it might be the most applied math-heavy arena), and depending on what kind of engineering you major in (like environmental, ecological, computer, electrical…), some proceed from Integral to #4 in the first year, then #3 in the 2nd, and some, vice versa.  For my untrained eyes, it almost looks like the choice is made at random (but certainly isn't, I'm sure).  I wish I knew what's needed for good foundation for a geology career.

Thank you for your comment,

Midori

The college may have a page somewhere describing the typical math sequence. I was looking at the math courses at a local college and couldn't make heads or tails of it until I found that page where they explained very explicitly, "Math majors would take these courses . . .", "Bio science majors would take these courses . . ." Those subtle differences were not obvious from the course descriptions.

Ok, first, the credits are weird because it's on quarters rather than semesters. This is also why the topics are split up in a bit of an unusual way. 

251, 252, and 253 cover the standard material one would expect to see in calc 1-2, plus an introductory treatment of linear algebra. It does not look like it covers the full linear algebra course, but it looks like it covers most of it. 254 and 255 cover vector calculus. 

As far as which one your student should take, I would actually recommend contacting a professor and explaining that he wants to go to graduate school in geology, probably glaciology, and asking for a recommendation. I am not sufficiently familiar with geology to make an authoritative recommendation.

My *personal* recommendation would be to take at least 253, unless he is absolutely sure he is going to State U, because this material is covered in calc 2 in many semester-based systems and this could cause issues with transfer credit. But I'm not 100% sure so you really ought to check with a geologist. 

ETA: And yes, you could take 253 and 254 in either order -- they're probably split that way in order to maximize flexibility in scheduling and fitting in courses, because you don't really need sequences and series for introductory vector calculus. 

Thank you for your responses!

Cosmos, thanks for the reminder.  I did that for the undergrad requirements, and they told her Integral is the highest she needs to go.  I checked the State U's website, but they don't publish the requirements for a geology grad degree.  So we can't look ahead to see what math will be needed in grad school.

Kiana, thank you so much for taking the time to check it.  Our dc did ask the Integral professor, but she couldn't give her any advice beyond undergrad level.  We probably should have contacted a geology professor, but I'm beginning to think even they might not have a clear-cut answer, depending on their (or our dc's intended) specialty.  I think I will follow your recommendation.  I noticed that the "series" covered in 253 is included in AP Calculus BC, and while I wonder if AP's coverage is as thorough as that in an 11-week 4-credit college course, the lack of exposure to this topic might cost her later.  Besides, if Integral is all she needs for undergrad, delving into Vector as high schooler might backfire -- meaning, she might forget most of it when she does need it for grad school or something.  I'm probably over-thinking, but at this point, it looks like going for 253 is the way.

How can I do without this forum?  Thank you very much for all you do.

Midori