Menu

Opinions on Amanda Bennett unit studies

Kidlit

I got an email this morning about a sale on her election unit study, and my curiosity was piqued. Im not much of a unit study person (at least I don't think I am), but this one interests me because it's a timely topic and I'm terrible at keeping up with current events myself, much less having my kids keep up with them. Is there anybody who doesn't usually do unit studies like this that has ever done them occasionally and found success? Was it a worthwhile learning endeavor, in your opinion?

I found them overpriced even with a sale. To me, they are just a bunch of links. No info or teaching is really included. It's just a lot of links to outside websites.

I totally agree. I was SO disappointed when I bought one (on sale). I don't consider a list of links to be a unit study.... I can google that all on my own, for free.

We like them in the same way that we like Intellego. Could I Google all those links? Sure. Do I have the time? Not a chance. I realize time and money are all relative, but for me I think they are worth every penny if it is a topic my kids enjoy, especially on sale. Plus, the booklists are fabulous and I can pull tons of books from my library to add to the unit study. We don't do them all the time, but I do like them once in awhile for a more focused topic. Now MBtP unit studies are not our style at all, so maybe that is why we like them?

I'm torn on this.. 

First off, we've used some & loved them. Others not so much. There are a variety to choose from & each type if for a specific age range. Her oldest ones are true on Unit Studies in regards to the fact that they are her original products. I bought the Christmas one when my children were most likely 5 & 7, I was so heavily disappointed in the product I can't even express it. :lol:

Having said that, we revisited it again when my children were several years older & we adored it. We also used the Ocean one & loved it as well. I think making sure the children who will use it are old enough is the real key! I've always been so-so on the Download N Go's, I find there's too much to print out with them, & yet not printing them out means you miss out on a few things too. I'm curious what she sells for them preprinted at Conventions to be honest. We also had an issue with a video link being wrong & bringing up a nude woman, we reported it instantly & they did fix it, but by then my son was all ready upset about what he'd seen. We were offered a discount, as well, on another purchase which we never used. 

I didn't NOT use it because of the incident, we've used other DNG's & never had an issue, but honestly I didn't have the money, even with discount, to spend at that time & didn't really need another product unless it was going to be a freebie. My favourites are the original Unit Studies for sure, & I found them to be lovely if used with the appropriate aged children. ;) However, most of the books called for weren't available at my library so we learned to sub. ;)