Menu

Ds is freaking out about SAT essay - please help!

He can write just fine. But the thing where he's going to be expected to come up with examples from his reading/history/life to support his point is scaring him to death. He keeps getting this deer in the headlights look every time we talk about it!

Should I just have him start writing one per week? I found a book on Amazon that has a ton of essay topics.

Or should we buy a book that breaks it down more?

What have you used to teach this skill?

There are some great suggestions in the threads Michelle linked. I have one other idea that may help. This is something we have kids do in the SAT prep class I teach. It is not the primary strategy, and I don't let them do it until they have written at least three practice essays :D, but it is possible to prepare some examples ahead of time. I have kids write down two books they have read (with details like author, setting, major themes) two historical events or people (with a few details ie era, location, historical significance) and two personal examples (travel, hobby, serious illness--anything that affected their life and was a learning experience). If they have a few things in mind, they can be used for many different essay topics. This may help prevent the "deer in the headlights" and at least give him a place to start. Let's see--how does the life of Abraham Lincoln demonstrate that leaders are born, not made (or made, not born?) How about Great Expectations, is there anything in that book that applies? Does this relate in any way to my experience studying guitar for the past several years? etc. I don't know if this will help your ds but it works for some kids--just a thought. :)

I run an SAT verbal prep course as well (in fact, the fall one is going on right now, in time for the Oct. 4 testing date). I agree wholeheartedly with Maverick. We use a form meant to elicit the kinds of examples Maverick's talking about, and I usually spend some time showing students how random examples can be easily adapted to a wide variety of topics. Since the prompts are all seeking to elicit opinions rather than facts, the most important thing is to connect one's examples clearly to one's thesis statement. It would be better to write about Paris Hilton with confidence than to write about a character from The Crucible and be ambiguous.

Here are some sample prompts from the June SAT.

It's just a five paragraph essay, that's all. Thesis, example, example, example, conclusion. The two biggest problems students have are:

•over-complicated sentence structure (leading to a poor overall writing style/quality)

•unclear examples

A lot of students tend to pad with meaningless or poorly used phrases like "such as" or "as regards". They also seem to think that more clauses = more mature writing. I think this comes from writing essays with page limits, and I call it the "buckshot" approach. They fire (random) words in all directions hoping they hit something. Instead, they need to write like they're using a rifle. Succinct, direct and to the point. They can always go back at the end and replace some words with fifty-cent synonyms.

I'd do some practice essays with a kitchen timer. Then go back over them and show your student where he could punch up his vocabulary a bit, edit his sentences to eliminate padding and clarify his thoughts, and make sure his examples are consistent with his opinion.