Menu

Pet Allergies/Asthma

Negin

Our son has a dog - three actually, but one has recently moved inside the home. Here in the Caribbean, many keep their dogs outside.

It seems that our son's asthmatic symptoms/allergies have flared up since the dog has moved into his bedroom. We have very little space to put him elsewhere. We don't want to put him back outside. The other two dogs are not nice to him at all.

At first we thought our son has come down with the flu or the cold, but I kept waking up all last night, thinking and worrying that it may very well be allergies . I'm trying to rack my brains as to what to do. I love this dog so much, more than any pet we've had in the longest while. If things get worse, we may have to give him away to a student friend of ours who loves him also and would take him back to her home in San Francisco. That, to me, is a last resort, and would break my heart. But at least he's very much loved by her and is treated so well. Again, last resort. She leaves in November and so we don't have much time to make a decision.

We have tiled floors - no carpeting.

Any suggestions/tips as to what may actually work to help reduce allergens? 

Bathe the dog regularly.  As much as twice a week isn't too much.  No, it won't dry out his skin/coat if you use a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.  If you can't bathe him, at least give him a thorough rinse in lukewarm water a couple of times a week at a minimum.  Have someone other than your son brush the dog outside every day.  The goal here is to remove as much dander and outdoor allergens that accumulate on the dog's coat as you can.

Wash all pet bedding and your son's bedding (if the dog sleeps on the bed) at least weekly.  With the dog inside you may need to step up your regular cleaning routine -- more frequent dusting and vacuuming/sweeping.

Feeding the dog as healthy a diet as possible will help keep his skin healthy and may reduce dander production.  I'd give a fish oil supplement or feed him some mackeral or salmon a few times a week.

Thank you both so much. 

I'd give a fish oil supplement or feed him some mackeral or salmon a few times a week.

Not sure if they have fish oil supplements for dogs here. No fresh salmon or mackerel, for sure. They do have canned and frozen salmon. Should I try those? 

Thank you both so much. 

Not sure if they have fish oil supplements for dogs here. No fresh salmon or mackerel, for sure. They do have canned and frozen salmon. Should I try those? 

Either would be fine, I think.  I give my dogs canned fish all the time.  Just make sure you give a very small amount to begin with to make sure it won't upset his tummy.  As far as a supplement, you don't have to give one made for dogs.  Mine get "people" fish oil capsules.

Either would be fine, I think.  I give my dogs canned fish all the time.  Just make sure you give a very small amount to begin with to make sure it won't upset his tummy.  As far as a supplement, you don't have to give one made for dogs.  Mine get "people" fish oil capsules.

Thank you again. I never would have thought that they can have the same fish oil capsules as us. It makes sense :).