Menu

WWE dictation with spelling issues

lgliser

We are doing WWE level 2 this year and it's quite a bit tougher than level 1!  I was happy to read the little article on here about how it's ok to read the dictation sentence more than 2 or 3 times if you kid needs it.  That helps a lot!

But how do you do dictation smoothly when your child isn't a perfect speller yet?  And even good spellers might have trouble with names like Dolittle.  My kids are ok spellers (they are only 7!) but they are still really sounding things out and remembering the spelling rules that we are learning with AAS.  It's just not natural and quick yet.  So it makes dictation slow and choppy.

How do you deal with this?

Sometimes I would write out a name (or other words) for them to copy when they get there.

Still somewhat slew and choppy in WWE 4, so good to find a system now!

I try to keep them mostly together so I only need to spell it once. If there is a long enough disruption I will have someone repeat the sentence again out loud.

I know what my child will be able to spell and where she might struggle - because it is about dictation and not spelling even if the word is not very difficult but might make her have to think enough that it distracts her from the dictation then I will write the word on a piece of paper and get her to say the dictation as she writes it - as she says the word I think she will struggle on I just hand her a piece of paper with it written out for her and she copies it and carries on with the dictation.

I just write the words that I do not expect her to know how to spell at the bottom of the page.  My dd is a decent speller for her age, not great, but not behind.  If I had a student who really struggled with spelling, I would not use WWE, or I would use it at a later age, because there comes a point where the spelling just gets in the way of dictation.  Or I would choose my own sentences to dictate so I could make sure they contained only words that she had a highly likelihood of spelling correctly.  

SWB says to spell any words as needed. Often it is even in the directions for the teacher. Dictation isn't a spelling exercise so help is just fine.  I think the book even says to stand over the child and kindly correct him if he starts to misspell.

With my younger son, he has occasionally needed help with every single word. He starts second guessing himself and it gets hard for him. I usually ask him 'How do you think you spell it?" if the word is one I know he knows, such as 'the' or 'who'. And yes, he has asked me how to spell those on occasion. He can really get in a tizzy, lol.

Does it make the dictation 'choppy'? I guess. But now he is in WWE3 and things are much better and he is actually a pretty good speller. This year has been great so far.

But for 2 years I have spelled a whole lot of dictation words for him. It was the same for my older boy. By WWE4 he was pretty darn good, but those first couple years needed a LOT of help with spelling.