Menu

Cross-post...help needed with curriculum for my eighth grader

Merry

I am an old boardie who seldom comes here anymore mostly because my husband died suddenly a year ago in May of a heart attack.  I have six children, five of whom have already graduated from high school and are either married or in college.  They are doing all right.  But my youngest was only 12 when his dad died.  He seems to be doing all right overall but he doesn't sleep well at night. Right now he is sleeping on the couch as he didn't sleep until 3 am this morning and got up early to go to his PE class.

Last year, we had a hard time with home school which is not surprising, but he finished most of his math and grammar so that was good.  This year, I was surprised to see that even though he is focusing better on his school work, he still tires easily so he is going very slowly though his school work again like last year.  He is in eighth grade.

So...it looks like another light year in schoolwork but he is in eighth grade.  I know it is important for him to keep up with his math and English but I also really wanted him to move on in science and history as they can help him keep his interest in learning in a disciplined way.  I also want him to move on in literature and Latin.  And do more writing of compositions.  He didn't write any last year.

I signed him up for literature and Latin classes with Scholars Online and he is doing okay so far but I really don't know if his grieving will get in the way and I don't want him to feel bad about not being able to keep up if that happens.  He does like the teachers and the books but it might be better if he waits until next year but then again, what if the classes are what would motivate him to focus on other things other than his grief which should be a good thing?

I could teach these subjects myself but I also am struggling still with some bad days myself and I still am not sure of how my own year will turn out.

I am thinking of unschooling him in science and history but is that acceptable in eighth grade?  

I guess what I am really asking is how little structure we can get away with this year and still have a rich and enjoyable education that includes learning some good study skills, math, and grammar.

Hugs to you.  My first husband died when my daughter was 3 so I understand how difficult it can be to care for grieving children while still grieving yourself.  My daughter is now in the eighth grade.  If it was me, the focus of my year would be on good mental health for your son.  Keep up with math and encourage reading in all the other subjects.  If he is exposed to good literature and exposed to the other subjects (maybe gentle unschooling with good discussions) he will be able to catch back up when he hits high school.  Addressing his grief will allow him to avoid a slow downhill spiral.