Menu

Can glue be used to seal a wound after it is already starting to heal?

Tap

I had an appendectomy 2 weeks ago.  I got the stitches out yesterday. From the surgery until the stitches removal, the wound has been sealed under tegaderm and a piece of gauze.  I was instructed keep it all dry and to leave the bandage in place, so I really haven't seen the wound until now..  Today is the first real shower the wound has been exposed to.   Before my shower, there was an ridge of dried blood in the spot and after my shower today, I noticed that where there was dried blood, there is actually a 1cm long spot (open about 1/8inch or so)  that is not stuck together on the upper most layers of skin.  The wound is about 2.5 inches long right now, and the open spot is on the farthest edge closest to my belly button.  It is healing and looks normal, but I am sure this gap isn't going to heal very nicely and I really don't want it to spread any further than it already is. I stuck a butterfly bandage on it to give it a little support, but it doesn't seem to be doing much since the cut is right on the softest part of my belly. 

I can get some steri-strips when I am out, but then I was wondering if gluing it back together would work better? 

Any suggestions?

I would recommend against it.

I use glue all the time on superficial cuts after a good cleaning, but if I end up sealing some bacteria in, the worst that's going to happen is a surface infection. Your wound is a lot deeper and the consequences of accidentally sealing some bacteria in are a lot more serious.