Menu

"Spiral" handwriting?

AimeeM

I have Seton K and Abeka K, but they aren't "spiral" enough. I *could* spiral it, sure, it I'm in up to my eyeballs right now, and this is the one area that he likes to do independently, so I'd really like a program that naturally "spirals"... ideally, something that introduces a new letter daily, but also reviews past letters.

I know that many programs do this (as does Seton and Abeka) when they start building words from the letters, but I need something that does it from the beginning. If there isn't one available, I guess I can cobble it together on my own, but I'd love some suggestions!

We use Zaner-Bloser for manuscript handwriting. For Kindergarten it begins with strokes and then letters. When you get to the letter pages it includes a line of tracing the letters, then a line for writing the letters independently and then a third line for tracing words beginning  the letter. After a few pages like that they review the letters. For review they have the alphabet on one page with blank spaces for the letters the child has learned to be filled in. On the other review page are four letters each written twice and with space below them so the child can copy them. The first grade book seems to follow a similar format, but less tracing and more copying.

I hope this helps!

It does not do a daily review of past letters by themselves. It does include words at the bottom of each letter page. They do start with the letter being practiced, but it includes other letters to trace. So for E the first row would be tracing E. The second row would be writing E with a dot for a starting point. The third row has three words like Egg, Elephant and Eye. These words include letters that have already been taught and some letters that haven't been taught yet. So yes there is some review, but not necessarily of the letters from two pages before. It just depends upon the letter of the lesson and the words at the bottom. There are review pages every 6-8  pages it looks like. I have my son do two pages a day and his handwriting has drastically improved. So maybe it is supposed to be practice a new letter all week and review for the end of the week.

Good luck!

McRuffy Handwriting spirals. I use it with DD along with HWOT. I am not sure if they spiral from the beginning (first few lessons) however, as I use the transitional K book. The sample below is from the K book and doesn't show the 1st few lessons. You may need to shoot the company an email and ask if it spirals from the first few lessons. My guess is  that it does because they seem to think it's important to keep reviewing.

http://www.mcruffy.com/Samples/K%20Handwriting%20Sample.pdf