Menu

BYU - Time required

I'm trying to help a student who is very bright but needs some "credit recovery" kind of credits for school. For those of you who have had kids in BYU, especially English, how much of a time commitment is it. What would work best for this student would be an option he can just crank through and test.

Are you asking about high school English through BYU Independent Study?

I have looked at the 9, 10, and 11 grade first semester courses with them.  Each semester requires one novel which is spread over the semester.  Each lesson has some vocabulary and a couple of short stories or poems.  There is some sort of writing assignment for each lesson, but they are turned in as groups of around 5 lessons at a time.  You can work at your own pace.  The graded writing assignments will take a bit of time to get graded by the instructor, but the lesson tests are done online and graded immediately.  The final exam has to be proctored and takes several days to set up.  I didn't have any of my kids take the courses for credit because I require much more reading than is in these classes, but that might be just the thing for credit recovery.

HTH

Ds is in 10th grade now with BYU.  He thinks he could get through a semester of English in 6 weeks if he pushed through.  Generally assignments are graded quickly.  Like the pp mentioned, arranging the tests can take a little time.  There isn't much reading, I agree, but ds is doing separate literature courses.