Menu

Singapore 7 or 8 = Algebra I?

Classic Mom

I should have scrolled down further before posting...

from Sonlight website:

Secondary Mathematics

Singapore's Secondary Math program is called "elementary" because it focuses on teaching "the basics" of higher math, including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, etc. Therefore, in the Singapore Math® program, the word "elementary" is not to be confused with the Primary grade levels of 1st through 6th. These two terms are not synonymous. In the Singapore system, their "Elementary Mathematics Syllabus" is their Secondary program.

This program is used by 90% of Singapore's secondary students in the academic stream (headed for college). It is a four-year program that consists of 7th, 8th, 9th, and A (10th). It begins with a complete review of arithmetic then moves on to algebra, geometry, trigonometry and pre-calculus. The workbooks contain additional practice exercises, timed exams, and complete answer keys. There is a workbook for each of the four secondary levels. Workbooks do not provide answer keys to Class Activities, Challenger, Problem Solving and Investigation sections (see below). These are available in the Teacher's Guides. Teacher's Guides are available for levels 1 through 4A. There is no Teacher's Guide for 4B. Additional solutions are being created. As these are developed they will be offered online and will be printed later in a solutions manual.

Singapore 8 Math Program (New Elementary Math 2 Kit) covers intermediate algebra and geometry

Singapore 9 Math Program (New Elementary Math 3 Kit) covers advanced algebra and geometry

Singapore 10 Math Program (New Elementary Math 4 Kit) covers introductory advanced math (trig & pre-calc) as well as review

No, it's not algebra 2 -- I don't know why sonlight calls it 'intermediate algebra and geometry'

S1-S4 are grades 7-10

Secondary 1: Pre-Algebra, some Algebra 1 and Geometry
Secondary 2: Algebra 1 and Geometry
Secondary 3: some Algebra 2, Geometry, some Trigonometry
Secondary 4: some advanced topics and review
Additional Mathematics: The first half (done in Secondary 3) is mostly Pre-Calculus, and the second half (done in Secondary 4) is mostly Calculus.

Source: http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm

If I buy the solutions manual, do I need the Teacher's Guide?  

What about the workbook?  Is it extra practice for each chapter or supplemental?  Are the answers in the solutions manual?

I tried chatting with Sonlight, but they just cut and paste information from the website.

What Sonlight is selling is a Teacher's Guide and a Solutions Manual- 2 separate items.  It looks like the solutions guide is how to work the problem and the answer.  The Teacher's Guide seems to add a schedule and teaching tips only.  It seems like I'd be fine without the Teacher's guide.   BTW- this the New Elementary Singapore, so it may be different from the new line they are selling now in terms of guides.