Menu

If You Had to Start All Over From Square 1 wrt Algebra 1...

At the charter library, I wound up finding copies of Saxon Algebra 1 3rd ed. and Dolciani Structure & Method Course 2 ('92 copyright), which appears to be an integrated course covering a lot of the same Algebra 1 material as DM 7-8A. 

If you decide to go with Saxon I recommend you read the newsletters for July and August here http://usingsaxon.com/newsletter.php.  My children have used Saxon for years at private school and at home and I only recently discovered that neither us nor the school had been following the recommended approach.  My son struggles with math mastery as well and after looking at this website and talking with Mr. Reed personally, we feel much better about getting back on track with math.  Good luck to you!

The 1st edition of Jacobs Geometry is a great book and very rigorous on proofs. I've never seen the 2nd edition... but the 1st starts of with the Spotter and Surfer introduction and then a 60+ page chapter with 11 lessons on logic and proof. It then dives more into pure geometry with plenty of proofs and fun examples for the rest of the book. It sounds *very* similar to the 2nd edition.

The 2nd edition also starts out with the Spotter & Surfer, then has a 40+ page intro chapter "On the Nature of Deductive Reasoning" containing 9 lessons on logic and proof. I agree; it sounds very similar to the 1st edition.