Menu

Question for Maryland homeschoolers

Guest mmh20619

Guest mmh20619

Hello everyone, I'm new to this so apologies in advance if this question has been answered before.

I will be homeschooling my 9 year old son this year in St Mary's County, which is in southern Maryland. I sent in the notification form, as required, and today I received a reply from the Dept of Special Education and Student Services. They acknowledged receipt and acceptance of my notification.

But I'm wondering about this part of the letter -

"During the school year, a representative from St Mary's County Public Schools will arrange to meet with you to review, discuss, and observe the instructional program."

I've read the state law. It also specifies that "A parent or guardian shall agree to permit a representative of a local school system to review the portfolio of educational materials, discuss the instructional program, and observe instruction...."

So it seems pretty clear that they can observe my teaching. However, everything I've read online (so far) from MD homeschool parents states that we just have a portfolio review and our child does not need to be present.

Has anyone had the rep visit their home to observe instruction? What does that involve? Is it a whole day observation? I thought they couldn't demand entry to your home, but I can't imagine where else they can "observe instruction".

I don't have anything to hide, I swear. :-) I just want to be certain I follow the rules and understand the process. There are parts of the law that seem vague (perhaps deliberately so), - the observation part, as well as what constitutes an acceptable portfolio. For example, how many examples of work should be included? How many tests? And so on. 

It seems as though a LOT is left up to the individual reviewer. One might think ten test examples is enough. Another might demand a test for each week of instruction. How are we supposed to know what to bring?

So my questions are basically this - how does the "observe instruction" requirement work? And how do we know what / how much to include in the portfolio?

Thanks very much for your help. It's possible that I'm overthinking this. :confused1: 

-Mary

Interesting - I actually had to look up the law to see that it said "observe instruction" because it has never come up as relevant in my county reviews. I have not heard any commentary about observing instruction in the past 6-7 years.  Most everyone I know doing reviews without an oversight group has had a basic portfolio review without anything complicated involved.  I'd go with that idea that you're over thinking this.

Not in Maryland, just across the line, but no one comes to your home.  They review you two or three times a year depending on your district.  You take a portfolio of work samples or book lists.  There is no specific requirement, but those are the easiest ways to show continued instruction.  You do not have to take your kids.  Most places seem to let you choose your reviewer (from their people).  Ask around in your district and see who is a "good" reviewer.  Some know the law, others do not.  Some people do seem to get hassled but only occasionally is anyone marked non-compliant.  You can opt out of this whole affair by paying to join an umbrella instead and complying with whatever their requirements are.  Umbrellas are typically run by homeschoolers and in the best interest of homeschoolers, but they can be expensive.

Guest mmh20619

Thanks for the replies. I have researched a few umbrella groups, but didn't find one that 'fit'. So - for better or worse - going it alone. :-)

I haven't heard of anyone having the 'observe instruction' experience either. It's just that the vagueness of the law / requirements seems a bit - how to put it - if a reviewer / county official wanted to be a jerk, they could be a jerk. The law gives them wiggle room.

But I'll go into it with the expectation that things will go smoothly and happily and hopefully that will be the case. I really want this to work. And it's hard because no one (family & friends) is supportive of our decision to homeschool. Hence the overthinking.

Thanks again!

-Mary

Not in Maryland, just across the line, but no one comes to your home. They review you two or three times a year depending on your district. You take a portfolio of work samples or book lists. There is no specific requirement, but those are the easiest ways to show continued instruction. You do not have to take your kids. Most places seem to let you choose your reviewer (from their people). Ask around in your district and see who is a "good" reviewer. Some know the law, others do not. Some people do seem to get hassled but only occasionally is anyone marked non-compliant. You can opt out of this whole affair by paying to join an umbrella instead and complying with whatever their requirements are. Umbrellas are typically run by homeschoolers and in the best interest of homeschoolers, but they can be expensive.

In some counties they do at times review in your home. It is up to you and the reviewer to choose. You don't get to choose your reviewer in any county.

But there's a long history of how the law has been carried out that will protect you to some extent.  The state is not allowed to suddenly change the interpretation of a law (speaking generally here - that's true nationwide).  Since it's never been interpreted to mean observing in your home, I don't think they can change that.  Nor do I think they will.  Your bigger problem is much more likely to be that you get stuck with, say, a social worker whose job is usually dealing with abusive parents, who treats your review like a grill session.  Or a reviewer who is sure that if you didn't date everything that none of it counts (not in the law).  Or a reviewer who is sure that copywork can't count as writing for a first grader (not up to them to pick your educational philosophy).

In some counties they do at times review in your home. It is up to you and the reviewer to choose. You don't get to choose your reviewer in any county.

Most of my friends in Montgomery County choose their reviewer.  I guess they can deny it, but you can definitely request your reviewer there or sign up for a review slot with the reviewer that you like.  I have never known anyone reviewed in their home so I wasn't aware of that.  I'm pretty sure the law says "mutually agreeable place" or something like that, so that makes sense that it could be your home.

I am in Montgmery County. I ask for a certain reviewer and have always gotten who I have wanted for going on 7 years now. I have switched over to a digital portfolio where I take pictures of completed work and activities. All I take into my review now is the digital portfolio on my ipad. My reveiwer loves it. I try to include one dated sample from the beginning, middle, & end of each review period for each subject. Sometimes more for "English" since that has a lot of components.

I've never had a problem.

Starting with the county is a good plan to me. Why spend money of you don't need to? At least, that is my logic. My county reviews have gone well and I would only do an oversight group if I was having issues.

I include a basic portfolio far less detailed than the suggestion above. I agree my reviewer would probably love to see the extra stuff but it is more than I choose to provide. :) I have also been able to request a different reviewer when I once had philosophical differences with one reviewer that didn't serve us well. But I know each county has subtle differences in how they do reviews.

Starting with the county is a good plan to me. Why spend money of you don't need to? At least, that is my logic. My county reviews have gone well and I would only do an oversight group if I was having issues.

I include a basic portfolio far less detailed than the suggestion above. I agree my reviewer would probably love to see the extra stuff but it is more than I choose to provide. :) I have also been able to request a different reviewer when I once had philosophical differences with one reviewer that didn't serve us well. But I know each county has subtle differences in how they do reviews.

What county are you in?