Menu

Suggestions for a Geology Spine?

RachelChick

I plan to use this next year:  http://store.gravitaspublications.com/middle-school-grades-5-8/middle-school-geology-student-textbook.html  I am only buying the textbook.  Not the TM, etc.

We're going to do astronomy (using Signs and Seasons), weather (using Pocket Guide to Weather Forecasting) and geology (RS4K).  So, the geology shouldn't take all year.  (The RS4K books are pretty thin.)

I have had the hardest time finding a nice encyclopedia style book about rocks!  I have found good ones about geography, astronomy, and other earth/space topics....but haven't found a great one for rocks.    We are using RSO Earth and Space this year.  So we have added in some of their book suggestions on this topic.  HOWEVER, I really wanted a nice encyclopedia style book for our library. 

What I ended up going with is the National Geography Everything Rock Book.   It has some stunning pictures and it is very fun to read.  It isn't the longest book in the world, but it is very interesting.   

NOW---for your kid's ages, I would also check out the DK Earth Encyclopedia.  It isn't just about geology, but it has a really great section on geology that you could use for a spine. 

Another book you could add is the Basher Science book on rocks and minerals.  I personally don't really like these Basher books, but I seem to be the odd one out.  Everyone else raves about them.  ;)   Maybe you could use this as a reader?