Menu

Help me pick my spines please and read alouds for our year!

mama25angels

Here are the spines we have for a 1st and 6th grader:

Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

An Island Story

SOTW 2

UILE

Pages of History vol. 1

MOH 2

Here's the list of books I have, which would you do as read alouds and which for Independent reads for a 6th grader:

The Whipping Boy

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow

Arabian Nights

The Magna Charta

The Canterbury Tales Retold

William the Conqueror

Elizabeth I

Matilda Bone

The Trumpeter of Krakow

The Door in the Wall

The Ramsey Scallop

The Vikings

The Silver Branch

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

King Arthur (audio by Jim Weiss)

Morning Star of the Reformation

Ink on His Fingers

The Man Who Laid the Egg

The Beggars' Bible

The Bible Smuggler

I only need five or six of each. Thanks

Hmmm, well I'd be curious about a couple of things first:

What is your preferred approach to teaching/learning? For example, do you prefer the WTM method over CM?

How strong of a reader is your 6th grader? This would help in determining which books to read aloud and which to assign independently.

Would you want to include your first grader with none, some or all of the books to be read aloud?

What type of writing goals do you have in mind for your 6th grader? This would help in deciding on a book like Kingfisher, which is used in WTM for outlining vs. narration work with a living book such as Our Island Story. (I guess this is related to the first question.) :)

Hmmm, well I'd be curious about a couple of things first:

What is your preferred approach to teaching/learning? For example, do you prefer the WTM method over CM?

How strong of a reader is your 6th grader? This would help in determining which books to read aloud and which to assign independently.

Would you want to include your first grader with none, some or all of the books to be read aloud?

What type of writing goals do you have in mind for your 6th grader? This would help in deciding on a book like Kingfisher, which is used in WTM for outlining vs. narration work with a living book such as Our Island Story. (I guess this is related to the first question.) :)

Well, I don't think I can consider myself CM, as much I'd like to, due to my affinity for the CC memory work, even though we are not in a community, so I guess I would say that I'm eclectic with CM leanings.

My 6th grader is an average reader, but won't pick up a book on his own..

I would like to have my 1st grader sit for as many of the read alouds as he can stand.

My plan is for him to really get good at oral narrations and hopefully after Christmas break well be able to move into written narrations using some IEW dress ups.

I would choose Our Island Story for a spine, but, in the end you should probably choose the book that you and your son love the best. Or you could combine something like SOTW 2 with OIS. It seems from your book titles that you are covering the middle ages, so you would not need to read all of OIS this year.

Possible suggestions:

Reading Aloud for Both:

The Whipping Boy

Arabian Nights

The Door in the Wall

I would not overdo the chapter books with your first grader. There are some really good picture books for this time period that might work better. And not all picture books are just for small children. I think 6th graders can enjoy those too.

Reading Aloud for 6th Grader:

The Magna Charta

The Vikings

one of the biographies: Elizabeth or William the Conqueror

Independent Reading:

King Arthur (audio by Jim Weiss) If these are by the same author, your son could listen and read along at the same time.

Also, depending on his reading level maybe these: (these look more closely related in reading level)or if they are too much they could be converted to read-alouds...

The Trumpeter of Krakow

or one or more of these: (these look more closely related in reading level)

Ink on His Fingers

The Man Who Laid the Egg

The Beggars' Bible

The Bible Smuggler

Matilda Bone

I hope this is a little helpful... :)

I would choose Our Island Story for a spine, but, in the end you should probably choose the book that you and your son love the best. Or you could combine something like STOW 2 with OIS. It seems from your book titles that you are covering the middle ages, so you would not need to read all of OIS this year.

Possible suggestions:

Reading Aloud for Both:

The Whipping Boy

Arabian Nights

The Door in the Wall

I would not overdo the chapter books with your first grader. There are some really good picture books for this time period that might work better. And not all picture books are just for small children. I think 6th graders can enjoy those too.

Reading Aloud for 6th Grader:

The Magna Charta

The Vikings

one of the biographies: Elizabeth or William the Conqueror

Independent Reading:

King Arthur (audio by Jim Weiss) If these are by the same author, your son could listen and read along at the same time.

Also, depending on his reading level maybe these: (these look more closely related in reading level)or if they are too much they could be converted to read-alouds...

The Trumpeter of Krakow

or one or more of these: (these look more closely related in reading level)

Ink on His Fingers

The Man Who Laid the Egg

The Beggars' Bible

The Bible Smuggler

Matilda Bone

I hope this is a little helpful... :)

Yes, that was helpful! Thank you!!