Menu

Dog Help - our lab ate raisins

sheryl

DD and I noticed about an hour ago that our almost 11 yo female lab got into the trash.again!  and one of her conquests was a partially uneaten bag of trail mix which included raisins.

Apparently, DD picked out the M & M's and left the rest.   REALLY!!!!!  

I don't remember our first lab bobbing her head in our trash can as often as this one.  

Any vet-like advice would be greatly appreciated.    It totaled to "maybe" 20 or so.

???????????

We had that happen and our dog threw them up.  But before he did I called the vet and our little dog, less than twelve pounds at the time probably got half a dozen of them and the vet thought he would be fine.  It depends on the weight and how many he got.  So based on that I am betting yours will be fine.  But you can always call and ask.  

We had that happen and our dog threw them up.  But before he did I called the vet and our little dog, less than twelve pounds at the time probably got half a dozen of them and the vet thought he would be fine.  It depends on the weight and how many he got.  So based on that I am betting yours will be fine.  But you can always call and ask.  

Hi and thanks.  I "liked" your comment but frankly I don't understand what's going on with them. 

YES, our vet for our first lab told us the same thing.  I was on the living room floor cleaning it (we'd just moved in) as there was lots to do.  I sat on the floor and had a jumbo chocolate chip cookie on my leg.   I know, I know.   Yep, she gobbled it up and I was concerned.  We learned from the vet (different vet for our first dog) that a dog can have so much chocolate per 24 hours based on weight.  

That's what you are saying.  It sounds like it's the same thing.  Our vet is roughly 60 lbs.    Honestly, it's one of her joys to find an unsuspecting moment and pull off her heist!!!

Do you think she'll show symptoms?  If so, what would they be do ya think?

Coming back to say ... This probably won't help, but if it makes you feel better - our big 100 lb dog used to get into anything he could.  I learned exactly how much hyrdrogen peroxide to give him to make him throw up the offending substance (always with vet's approval/advice).  

He once ate a quarter pound bag of chocolate covered espresso beans.  :(  Once we were out of the woods, I was sad to have missed out on them.   :lol:

We did install a lock on our trash can, though.  He was amazing.  He could get into *anything* until we put on the lock. 

I hope your doggy is okay.

I got your like in my notifications :001_smile: .  Hopefully he will throw up.  But it took about three hours before ours did.  It was the first night dd decided that she would like to have him sleep with her, yes, and the last night she wanted to try having him sleep with her.

Coming back to say ... This probably won't help, but if it makes you feel better - our big 100 lb dog used to get into anything he could.  I learned exactly how much hyrdrogen peroxide to give him to make him throw up the offending substance (always with vet's approval/advice).  

He once ate a quarter pound bag of chocolate covered espresso beans.   :(  Once we were out of the woods, I was sad to have missed out on them.   :lol:

We did install a lock on our trash can, though.  He was amazing.  He could get into *anything* until we put on the lock. 

I hope your doggy is okay.

Wow, Spryte, glad your dog came out of it fine.  Yours and mine sound a lot alike! :)   Truly, our dog will get in to anything.  Shall we enter the "no-no" zone of undies!  OK, I'll stop.  The above, too funny.  I like them too. 

Hydrogen peroxide - really?   I'll keep that in mind and find out how much to give her in the event she does this again. 

Does your dog "counter" surf?  Our dog does and is quite adept (she's a tall lab) of streeeeeeeeeeeetching her neck just enough to eat that stick. STICK. of butter!   Or, anything else. 

I got your like in my notifications :001_smile: .  Hopefully he will throw up.  But it took about three hours before ours did.  It was the first night dd decided that she would like to have him sleep with her, yes, and the last night she wanted to try having him sleep with her.

So far she hasn't thrown up.  I'm encouraged to know it sounds like she'll be OK, thanks in part to her weight.  I also like Spryte's natural "home solution" remedy. 

Thanks to you both!   

Yes, your post really did remind me of my old boy.  :)  He was my doggy soulmate.  And he made it to 16, which was great for him, though I'd have liked longer.

Hydrogen peroxide - it's not easy to get into them, you have to pour it into your pup's mouth.  It makes them throw up.  And throw up.  And throw up.  It's awful.  Doggy gate them into the kitchen or outside, or wherever you want to manage it. But you'd always want vet's advice, because some things are better just going through their systems.  We only had to go do a charcoal treatment at the vet's office once. Thankfully. He had a stomach of iron. We only ever did the hydrogen peroxide when the vet suggested it.

Oooooh, the butter!   :lol: And the garden... He would ever so gently pick the cherry tomatoes at the height of their ripeness, and eat those, too.

And I will never forget the time I came home from college classes to find my guy covered, completely covered, in flour.  What was he thinking??

Dogs.  Love 'em.

Keep us posted on your pup.  

Wow, Spryte, glad your dog came out of it fine.  Yours and mine sound a lot alike! :)   Truly, our dog will get in to anything.  Shall we enter the "no-no" zone of undies!  OK, I'll stop.  The above, too funny.  I like them too. 

Hydrogen peroxide - really?   I'll keep that in mind and find out how much to give her in the event she does this again. 

Does your dog "counter" surf?  Our dog does and is quite adept (she's a tall lab) of streeeeeeeeeeeetching her neck just enough to eat that stick. STICK. of butter!   Or, anything else. 

So far she hasn't thrown up.  I'm encouraged to know it sounds like she'll be OK, thanks in part to her weight.  I also like Spryte's natural "home solution" remedy. 

Thanks to you both!   

Yes, your post really did remind me of my old boy.   :)  He was my doggy soulmate.  And he made it to 16, which was great for him, though I'd have liked longer.

Hydrogen peroxide - it's not easy to get into them, you have to pour it into your pup's mouth.  It makes them throw up.  And throw up.  And throw up.  It's awful.  Doggy gate them into the kitchen or outside, or wherever you want to manage it. But you'd always want vet's advice, because some things are better just going through their systems.  We only had to go do a charcoal treatment at the vet's office once. Thankfully. He had a stomach of iron. We only ever did the hydrogen peroxide when the vet suggested it.

Oooooh, the butter!   :lol: And the garden... He would ever so gently pick the cherry tomatoes at the height of their ripeness, and eat those, too.

And I will never forget the time I came home from college classes to find my guy covered, completely covered, in flour.  What was he thinking??

Dogs.  Love 'em.

Keep us posted on your pup.  

Oh my, Spryte!  It does sound like your doggy boy was a like like our lab now!  The stories I bet we could share!   :) 

Yes, charcoal.  I thought of this yesterday and couldn't remember the name of it.   Our vet may or may not be willing to give us information using the above ingredients.  I'll check for future reference though.   

She didn't throw up (which maybe it would be better if she would have b/c it would help to remove toxins).  She appears to be good and I'm thankful for that.

Thanks again and to you too, Jenn.  Will check out the link.