Menu

a good visit to the DMV

bettyandbob

I know everyone here has some DMV nightmare or at least frustrating experience, if not nightmare. I need a picture id for ds who has down syndrome.

The DMV staff I dealt with were very understanding. At our DMV one must first wait in an information line. I think this is to check that you've brought proper documents for whatever you are trying to do. Then  you get a number to wait to be served. ds got impatient in the info line. When it was our turn he picked a small plastic sign (4X5) and threw it barely missing the attendants behind the info desk. Ds is not very verbal (particularly when he's already frustrated)  and we've been working on not gettng really frustrated, but we still have more work to do. After the attendent who ducked to avoid being hit looked back at me I said "I need an id for my son". He didn't miss a beat and just asked me what I brought and gave me the forms and my number. It was such a relief not to have him admonishing me about having ds out and about or worse telling me how he could charge ds with assault.

Then we sat and read books until we got called. When we were called the attendant dealt with my paperwork. She had trouble getting ds's pic at her station. She took us to another station where ds could sit. At the end she gave him a small piece of hard candy.

When we were leaving, ds was calm and I asked to him to tell the first man "sorry." Ds was able to say sorry and the man smiled and said "no problem" and asked if we'd been able to order the id, then told us to have a good day.

If the first attendant had anything but the calm reaction he had at the start we would likely not have accomplished our goal. I am so grateful. I wouldn't have blamed the man if he'd gotten angry or told us we wouldn't be served, but he didn't do that.

This is the first time I've taken ds to the DMV. I took him because I had to--can't get the id without him.