Menu

Car activity for weekly trip - 9 year old

brownie

This school year we will be making a 1.5 hour round trip drive once a week to take my 11 year old to an activity.  On the way there we will listen to SOTW2.  On the way back, I would like something for just my 9 year old and I that is at least minimally interactive so we make the most of our alone time together. 

A regular (multi-hour) audio book won't work.  We listen to audio books ALL THE TIME, and I find it tedious to keep track of which kid(s) are listening to which book so we only listen to books when all the kids are together.  Plus, this is just once a week, so ideally whatever it is would only happen on that one day each week.  It would be tough to maintain interest in a book if listening only 1x a week.  Still, it could still be something on CD since I will be pulling out the SOTW2 CD anyhow.

Any ideas?  It would be nice if the time seemed somewhat special / enjoyable rather than a chore.  He would gladly play on my tablet :( but then I wouldn't even know he existed in the back seat.  Are there any age-appropriate memory work cd's? something we could discuss? I don't know...

Thanks! Brownie

When I take my 7, 5, and 3yo on our biweekly 2 hour trip, we play "guess my animal". Your 9yo might be a little old for that... :laugh:

Would he be interested in listening to a radio program with you? Our local public radio is fabulous and my 10yo has started listening in with me. That could be a time filler / discussion starter.

hmmm...we' re not doing a language yet but I am contemplating that option.  He does play an instrument and the music usually comes with a cd.  I may incorporate that in because we rarely listen to them but he does have rhythm issues (i.e. he loves to play as fast as possible) so it might help!