Menu

what would you do for math in this situation?

Another math thread, I know, I'm sorry but I'm just so frustrated right now!!

I am finishing up MM1 with DD and she hates it. She can do the work, but it always involves tears - even if I only ask her to complete one problem to ensure she understands before moving on. 

The problem is I was going to use that to figure out her math level, filling in the areas she needs more understanding but it's not worth making math miserable for her! When we spent a few months in McRuffy math, she got to where she loved math so much she would ask to do it in evenings and on weekends, she would turn to math whenever she was stressed as a way to relax. But now she avoids it again since we've picked up MM again. 

I don't really feel like McRuffy is teaching her how to think, though, and so I don't know what to do. She likes workbooks, but needs to learn how to puzzle through problems.

Suggestions? I really feel like I am floundering and desperately don't want to make math as miserable for her as it was for me!!!!!

McRuffy and then maybe singapore's CWP and/or IP a level behind? I have been through this. Puzzling through things is hard. The math needs to be easy so they feel like the puzzle is attainable. If I could do it over again, I think I'd give up the idea of math being at the right challenge and err onto the side of too easy for my girl.