Menu

Adler's Aristotle for Everyone

Preparing for 9th grade this fall and wondering if those who have used Aristotle for Everyone could tell me how it worked for their kids. Did they enjoy it and was it easy to follow? Also, one Amazon reviewer complains that it comes from an overly Christian slant which distorts the meaning of Aristotle's original material. Did you find that to be the case? (I am Christian myself and would be fine with a discussion of the material from a Christian perspective as long as it was accurate in conveying the actual ideas of Aristotle himself.)

Thanks,

Elaine

We read it a few years ago, so I can't remember specifics. I've not read much other Aristotle, so I can't comment on how it compares. Ds and I enjoyed it, it lead to a lot of discussion and allowed him to see not just the whole of something, but the parts of it as well. For instance, we still joke about when does a chair become a chair? 

My one caveat is that Adler is wordy. He's specific, not rambling, but it requires close reading otherwise it would be easy to get lost in the details. I also believe it's "easy" enough that it should be read before moving to the primary texts of Aristotle. 

I also think this is a book that needs to be discussed to be properly digested. We did a lot of it as a read aloud, as that works well for us.