Menu

Help me figure out his test score please!

Okay let me start by saying that I know test results are not the be all, end all.  My son was tested in order to get into a gifted preschool program last year and since then it has bugged me b/c others know where their child fits and I don't really.  I see labels like highly gifted, exceptionally gifted, etc.  The test that my son took is the Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scales (RIAS)  This test uses completely different labels.  Which is fine, but I want to see how  my son lines up.  I think later in life that will make a difference when trying to get him into programs (if he choses to do so) plus I am curious by nature and like to see where things fit.  I love him where ever that place is, just want to know.  I hope that makes sense.  At any rate I round this chart (look on page 40)

http://www.myschoolpsychology.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/An-Introduction-to-the-RIAS-Jim-Gyurke.pdf

My son scored a 143.  Which puts him well into the highest category (Significantly Above Average).  How can I figure out how this relates to the more typical labels I hear?  I am decent with math, but am no where near as gifted as my son, so this is probably something easy to figure out and I am just not seeing it. 

Thanks in advance!

Leslie

From what I can figure out from the information you linked, it appears that the standard deviation on the test is 10 points. It also looks like your son with a score of 143 is well more than three standard deviations high. That would place his score better than over 99% of the people who took this test.

But that doesn't say anything about how this test compares to other (more common) tests. There is no way to compare the scores unless there is a sample of kids who took this test and another test and you could run the statistics again. I am sorry I can't be of more help.

Back when the WPPSI was evaluating the latest version of their test to see how it compared to the old version, they gave kids both versions and compared the scores to see how well they lined up. That is the kind of information you would need to use the labels from one test to another.