Menu

Would you use/keep a pan like this?

Danestress

My MIL was really happy to give me a pan that she swears was her absolute favorite.   It's just a small 8 x 8 square, flat, griddle type pan.  I actually was wanting a griddle,  but what I would like is a much bigger one that I could cook pancakes and eggs on for my family.  I am just not sure what makes a small griddle type pan like this desirable.  It does have a long handle - so perhaps griddle is not the right word.  I am pretty committed to not keeping items in my kitchen that I do not actually use.

My MIL won't know or care if I give it away or stick it in the attic, but the fact that she loved it makes me think it has some awesome use I have not recognized ....

Two thoughts:

1. Is there any chance that individuals in your household will sometimes want to cook a single serving (say a single grilled cheese); if so, would it be more convenient to have the small pan.

2.  There is nothing to say you can't keep it for a while, see if it gets used, then toss it if not.  If you do toss it, I wouldn't throw it in the attic.  Just get rid of it. 

No - it's not cast iron. I actually would love a good, well seasoned old cast iron pan! I will ask her what she used it for. I think grilled cheese or other things for a lone eater is probably the correct answer. When I saw "grilled cheese," I thought that is probably it, and that I rarely eat grilled cheese. So of course all day I have been craving a grilled pepper jack and summer tomato sandwich!