Menu

Egermeier's or Vos to go with SOTW?

tld

I'm trying to decide which Bible story book to use alongside SOTW 1:  "Egermeier's Bible Story Book" or Vos's "The Children's Story Bible."

I have a 7 year old with great read aloud comprehension, but I'm also trying to combine my 5 year old son with the Bible story portion of school.  DS5 has average read aloud comprehension and attention for his age.  I'm thinking of throwing in coloring pages from Calvary Curriculum in hopes that that will help DS 5 with either book when there aren't pictures to along with the story.

Are there preferences out there with these books?  Especially when it comes to the ages and stages of my boys?

Other than the need for change, do you have a preference regarding which book you like best for your kids?

Well Eg stories a bit shorter and has a lot more pictures.

We have on started Vos a few days ago, so can't really say which one I prefer. Apart from the stories appearing to be longer than Eg. they seem to written more in conversational style, rather than telling what happened. So it sort of gets us thinking more :)

I am sure there are many others out there who can give you a better description or preference for these two.

I'd use Vos first. Vos has a slightly easier reading level and focuses on more common stories.

Egermeier covers many more stories not commonly found in children's Bibles.

IME going from an easy reader > Vos > Egermeier produces a kid who is very familiar with the major stories and ready to read something like NIV, ESV, and such on their own.

IME going from an easy reader > Vos > Egermeier produces a kid who is very familiar with the major stories and ready to read something like NIV, ESV, and such on their own.

That's helpful!  Thanks!

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

We have preferred Egermeier for the 5 to 8 age range. There are questions in the back of the book that are useful for checking comprehension and retention. There is information about how the Bible came to be what it is today, as well as a list of some prayers in the Bible.

The readings in Egermeier seem shorter and less stuffy than the readings in Vos. Also, the Vos story Bible uses some older spellings (e.g., "Saviour" rather than "Savior"), while Egermeier is more up-to-date. The artwork in Egermeier is reverent and pleasant.

Another option to keep on hand for an older child to read on his or her own is the DK Children's Illustrated Bible by Selina Hastings. There is a very small edition of this book in publication, so if you order it, be sure to check the size of the book! The print on the small edition is microscopic. We sent that back and ordered the larger size. :)

HTH.