Menu

If you are planning to make use of the Tennessee Promise program

Pegasus

There is now a little more information out there:  http://www.driveto55.org/lib/file/manager/TN_Promise_One-Pager_7-1-14.pdf

Note that the application deadline for Fall 2015 is November 1, 2014.  This early date is going to catch many people unaware unless the public/private schools do a great job communicating with their students/parents.

Tennessee Promise is the new program, starting with students graduating high school in spring 2015 and starting college in fall 2015, that will cover the remaining tuition charges for a community college or technical school for the first two years.  They call it a "last dollar scholarship" because any other grants or scholarships would be used first to cover the tuition and then Tennessee Promise would cover any remaining.

thanks for sharing.  I'm still trying to understand the "mentor" aspect of the program and how that will work out with homeschoolers and cover schools..  i guess I have a little bit of time to figure that out as my next child is going into 10th, not 12th this year....

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for sharing.  I'm still trying to understand the "mentor" aspect of the program and how that will work out with homeschoolers and cover schools..  i guess I have a little bit of time to figure that out as my next child is going into 10th, not 12th this year..

I work at a TN community college, and the way that it has worked in the past (there was a similar program already in place in my part of the state) the mandatory meetings were held at local high schools, with the mentors attending those meetings. The students and mentors would exchange emails and texts and continue communication throughout the year. I imagine that homeschoolers would also go to the meetings at the local high school and meet their mentors at the time. We have not been made aware of how it will work for the homeschool community, but I know that is how it was done under the previous program.

People around here are very excited about the program. I think it will really open doors for those who otherwise would not be able to afford college.