Menu

Math for DD12 - just coming home from PS - What do I do now?

parias1126

I think I've finally narrowed down most of what we are going to do for 6th grade after having my DD in the public school for the last 2 years.

I was able to find most all of HOD CTC used today at the Homeschool used book store. Yay for me! I just ordered the guide from HOD as well which was about the only thing I couldn't find used. I figure this will be easier than trying to put together my own literature study and she just loved the HOD books when we did Bigger a few years ago. She has so many fond memories of HOD.

Anyawy, I'm only going to use HOD for History and Science. I will not be using their R&S Grammar and will probably go with Easy Grammar or GWG.

I will be using Artistic Pursuits for art since she is a drawer and a very creative type.

My problem is with MATH! :crying:

I was sure I was going to go with TT6 which I probably still will since math is not her strong point. I'm beside myself. She just brought me her math notebooks from PS because I asked for them as I was looking at CLE samples. She was clueless while looking with me which is why I asked her to bring me what she was doing when school finished. She was doing long division and multiplying 3 numbers by 2 numbers. They were doing a lot of word problems. They were learning gallons, liters, etc.

This is what we were working on when I put her in school TWO YEARS AGO!!!! I'm completely beside myself. I can't purchase CLE 4th grade as this would just kill her self-esteem. She definitely struggles with math. She was pulled out in PS in a special class and had an IEP set while in school since she is considered to have a "math disability" (labeled by the PS, of course).

She played around with the samples for TT6 online and absolutely loved it, felt confident, etc. I'm thinking this is going to be my safest bet at this point until we can get her caught up. I really dislike playing catch up after having my children in the PS. I hadn't planned on bringing her back home and didn't tink I would have to worry about this. We just went through a huge redistricting and I'm now in a very low income horrible PS district. There is no way I'll allow her to attend this middle school. She was already being hounded by bullies for most of the end of the year last year. :cursing:

What would you do? I love CLE math and have used it in the past. It's always been wonderful and worked very well with all of my children. I do need something that is more indepdent though and will have a math tutor for her once per week for one hour. TT6 is going to be so expensive (especially if it doesn't work out). I know that TT6 is behind a bit (from what I've read on these boards), but I'm thinking, if this is the case, then this would be good for her. She is definitely not a math girl. She would be happy if she could sit all day with some great literature, an art pad, pencils, or her beading.

The same thing happened to us.  I didn't realize until after I pulled my son out of PS how little he had done in pretty much every subject.  For math we have had great success with Life of Fred.  The only thing we change is that we often do multiple bridges, which are like end of unit quizzes, instead of just doing the 2 he usually needs to pass and move on.  It seems like doing either 4 or all 5 of them before moving on works the best for us.  I think it also helped him that they don't have grade numbers on the books, just names like "Fractions" etc, so he didn't feel bad about being behind where he should have been gradewise.  In about 6 months of Life of Fred he was caught up to where I felt he should have been.  We've gradually been able to get him caught up after public school over several months.  The only areas where we are still working to catch up now are spelling and vocab. 

If she can pass TT6, she'll be fine. That'll put her starting algebra 1 in 9th grade. A student who can do algebra 1 in ninth grade and then proceed through WITH UNDERSTANDING is going to be better prepared than the average college student. TT is behind if your goal is algebra in 8th.

My oldest is considered to have a math disability as well.  He starts ninth in the fall at a public art high school.  I worked with the guidance counselor on placing him in classes for the new year and we put him in pre-algebra again for the new year.  He often takes two years to get new math concepts and we only spent a portion of eighth grade on pre-algebra, so it was the logical choice.

Go with Teaching Textbooks since she seems confident with that and don't worry about where she'll end up by ninth grade.   It'll be fine!

I'd take CLE with those choices, so I could more easily be a part of the daily lessons. I would want a DC with that past to discuss every concept with me to make sure she is truly understanding them.

Either way, both of those companies offer placement tests. Use them! :)