Menu

X-Post from Logic Board: Alternatives to Art of Argument

I posted the following on the Logic Board, but wanted to x-post here, as you guys might have other suggestions for either the timing or the text/curricula for an informal logic class:

I bought the Art of Argument a couple of years ago, and I've tried to read it several times.  I just tried again, as I was planning to use it this year . . . but I just hate it.  I think it's dull, I hate the tone, I just don't find anything about it interesting or engaging. 

So partly I'm wondering if I'm the only weirdo who feels this way?  But that doesn't actually really matter too much - what I really need to know is: 1) what else out there covers logical fallacies (and is secular), and 2) at what point in a student's career is an informal logic course critical? If ever?

I'm planning on studying Metacognition with my kids thoroughly - we'll study psychology, both individual and group, the ways our minds and others' can be deceived, how we think, perceive and judge . . . do we really need a specific class on informal logic?  And if so, what can we use that is secular, and engaging?  

I have Weston's Rulebook for Arguments and Workbook for Arguments, but the latter looks like a high school rhetoric class to me, not like something you would cover in middle school. 

Rose, why not just get a list off the internet, and hunt down examples in billboards, ads, politics.  You don't need a curriculum I wouldn't think.

And yes, I do think that the informal fallacies are worth not just understanding, but memorizing.  The more you know, the more you see.

Ruth in NZ

No, you're not the only one to dislike AoA. Bleah! It is poorly written, imo. Wish I had a more constructive idea for you. I like Ruth's, though. That's kind of what we ended up doing.

Have you seen this poster? https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/poster

That's cool! I like it a lot!!

Yeah, the tone drives me nuts.  Teeny boppers and Socrates.  Bleah!