Menu

Teaching accented syllables

Try exaggerating like crazy when you say the word out loud, using a couple of different options for stressed syllables. The wrong stress pattern (I hope!) will sound distinctly worse to your ears. 

ap-PLI-ance

AP-pli-ance

ap-pli-ANCE

This is too technical for a 2nd grader, but you can also try dropping vowels or changing vowels to a schwa ("uh") sound. In English, we tend to change unaccented syllables to schwas, and sometimes we drop them altogether. So if it sounds crazy to change a vowel to a schwa, it's likely an accented syllable.

uh-PLI-uhnce is understandable and dropping the last vowel also works fine, but changing the middle vowel "I" to a schwa sounds odd. So the accent must go on the second syllable.

This even works on words with 2 long vowel sounds, like "oatmeal" - 

OAT-muhl sounds better than uht-MEAL.

• 3 weeks later...

Say the word with your mouth closed.  One syllable will have a higher pitch.  That is the accented syllable.  

One moment I think I have this using it this way and another time it seems I mess it up. :confused1:

Try exaggerating like crazy when you say the word out loud, using a couple of different options for stressed syllables. The wrong stress pattern (I hope!) will sound distinctly worse to your ears. 

ap-PLI-ance

AP-pli-ance

ap-pli-ANCE

This is too technical for a 2nd grader, but you can also try dropping vowels or changing vowels to a schwa ("uh") sound. In English, we tend to change unaccented syllables to schwas, and sometimes we drop them altogether. So if it sounds crazy to change a vowel to a schwa, it's likely an accented syllable.

uh-PLI-uhnce is understandable and dropping the last vowel also works fine, but changing the middle vowel "I" to a schwa sounds odd. So the accent must go on the second syllable.

This even works on words with 2 long vowel sounds, like "oatmeal" - 

OAT-muhl sounds better than uht-MEAL.

Thank you! Maybe it is an impossibility for me to teach this.