Older women wearing strapless tops

Ginevra

Older women and strapless tops  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Should older women wear strapless tops

• Sure, whatever they like!
    • No, pretty much never!
    • It depends.

I guess I meant is it wise to wear them if it is widely seen as unflattering.

Then my opinion is 'no, don't wear it' but it's just an opinion, and one that I would never voice IRL! (Unless asked by someone to whom I am close enough to give an honest opinion.)

If you have been told by your husband that it is unflattering.

See, that really matters to me. I realize it doesn't to everyone, and that's fine of course. But my husband is so generous with complements, and so easy to please, that on the one occasion when he (gently) told me that a piece of clothing I had been wearing did not look good on me, I took it very seriously. I cut that item up and used it as cleaning rags the next day. I'm not a beauty. I'm not a fashionista. But I want to look as attractive as I (reasonably) can to him.

You indicated that the husband in this scenario was not gentle with the criticism, and while that would hurt and I'd probably be angry, and might even give him a piece of my mind about some of the clothes he still has that were old 15 years ago, I still wouldn't wear it knowing that he doesn't like it on me.

Also, when I said "strapless" OR tube top, I wasn't thinking of structured, elegant tops or dresses that simply lack a strap. I was thinking of strapless tops that aren't exactly tube tops, but still do not have structure or support.

I'd say that's a no. Again, just my opinion.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of this thread when I was out on my evening walk and saw an elderly neighbor wearing a pink tube top while gardening.  The top was only about 4 inches above her waist and still did not break any decency laws due to gravity  ;)  :D.  Her husband was there helping her in the garden and did not seem scandalized.  I thought "good for her for finding a way to beat the heat!"  But I did have a chuckle as I thought of this thread. . . .