Menu

Areas close to Norfolk Navy Yard NOB

LisaKinVA

Looking forward, need competitive year round swim team, good community college, and not too far from the Aquarium. We are also in AHG and BSA, although younger son may make Eagle before we get back. The Hive would say....

I live in Norfolk; are you asking for which of these things are close to NOB?  I think that's what you meant.  Anyway, Tidewater Athletic Club (TAC) has year-round swimming.  Within each city, there are also competitive swim teams, but you generally have to specifically be in their community or join their club.  Tidewater Community College has several campuses, one in Virginia Beach, one in Norfolk, one in Portsmouth, one in Chesapeake, and a few other satellite campuses, along with a host of online classes.  Thomas Nelson Community College is also here, but a stretch of a drive from NOB/Virginia Beach.  Sorry I don't know about BSA in Virginia Beach, but Norfolk's Troop #1 is awesome and well-known for being a fine troop.  Will you be living in Virginia Beach?  If so, that's can be a haul from NOB, especially at rush hour (I wouldn't want that that investment in gas and time every day), and what's close to NOB will not necessarily be close to Virginia Beach. 

I live in Norfolk; are you asking for which of these things are close to NOB?  I think that's what you meant.  Anyway, Tidewater Athletic Club (TAC) has year-round swimming.  Within each city, there are also competitive swim teams, but you generally have to specifically be in their community or join their club.  Tidewater Community College has several campuses, one in Virginia Beach, one in Norfolk, one in Portsmouth, one in Chesapeake, and a few other satellite campuses, along with a host of online classes.  Thomas Nelson Community College is also here, but a stretch of a drive from NOB/Virginia Beach.  Sorry I don't know about BSA in Virginia Beach, but Norfolk's Troop #1 is awesome and well-known for being a fine troop.  Will you be living in Virginia Beach?  If so, that's can be a haul from NOB, especially at rush hour (I wouldn't want that that investment in gas and time every day), and what's close to NOB will not necessarily be close to Virginia Beach. 

My poor dh is getting spoiled with his easy commute here in Italy.  He was driving 1hr 15min to the Washington Navy Yard, and he wants a "30 minute commute" to work when we xfer back to NOB -- which, based upon what I'm reading, can really only happen if we live in Ghent (too expensive, not my thing), or something in the general vicinity.  

Assuming oldest ds is firmly ensconced at college, I will have a 16 1/2 yo dd needing some classes at the community college (Marine Science, Organic Chem, things like that, possibly math, and we're thinking German as well...), I know she wants to try to volunteer at the aquarium in VA Beach as well.  She is a strong competitive swimmer (swam with RAYS, and now with the Tiger Sharks and our local Italian team).

I will have a nearly 15yo boy (who just bridged, but is nearly complete with 1st class requirements), who will be looking to get involved with a troop, and will also need CC.

Beyond that, my younger two girls will most likely both be competitive swimmers (5yo is doing incredibly well...not well enough to make the team this year, but I think she will next year at 6), And, the 7yo is also in love with swimming, and will be starting on the team.

I know there was a team that practiced at NOB, and I'm aware they are putting in a new 50 meter pool in VA Beach (YMCA).  I believe there are two AHG troops in the general area right now, too.  Just trying to find where living accommodations might be "centrally located" -- if that's even possible.

I like Isle of Wight...that's my kind of area...but I have no idea if it's remotely possible to live there and do what we need to do without driving us all a bit batty with the commutes.  We do plan to rent initially, and my dh doesn't like the idea of Chesapeake.  We have friends moving back there next May.

We lived in Ghent for a while (paid a fortune and had no yard) and we moved to West Ghent about 5 years ago because we needed a yard and some space for the kids to run outside and play.  West Ghent is a beautiful, family-friendly, walkable, Leave-It-To-Beaver kind of neighborhood, and can be affordable if you bide your time and pounce at a house when the price is right; this is what we did and got a decent deal.  Larchmont is about 10 minutes closer to NOB (probably only takes a 10 minutes drive to get to work from Larchmont) and is right down the street from West Ghent and the homes are about $50-$100K cheaper; it's very nice there and very family-friendly, so check out Larchmont also.  Since you are homeschooling and don't need the schools, you can also check out the Granby Park area; also close to NOB and more than $100K cheaper than West Ghent, but the schools are a bit scarier so the housing is cheaper.  But we had friends who lived there who were also Navy and there are some nice, quiet neighborhoods in Granby Park.  In theory, Virginia Beach can be a 30 minute commute to NOB if you live near the Norfolk border.  That commute can be an hour at rush hour weekdays though.  But near the Norfolk border has some dicey areas; I don't know them well enough to offer advice there, but hopefully, someone in Virginia Beach will chime in.  I believe the Kempsville area of Virginia Beach is still decent, and it is closer to NOB; about halfway between NOB and the aquarium (which is right near the beach).  If you are well into Virginia Beach (down by the aquarium or in the King's Grant section) you will find nicer neighborhoods, but on weekdays during rush hour, it will be a 1- 1 1/2 hour commute to NOB.

There are *tons* of homeschooling co-ops in the area for your youngers, and ODU and VIMS have terrific marine science programs for your DD if she decides to go that route.  The local community college also has some marine science options also, along with just about any other type of course your kids have a hankering for.  

My poor dh is getting spoiled with his easy commute here in Italy.  He was driving 1hr 15min to the Washington Navy Yard, and he wants a "30 minute commute" to work when we xfer back to NOB -- which, based upon what I'm reading, can really only happen if we live in Ghent (too expensive, not my thing), or something in the general vicinity.  

Assuming oldest ds is firmly ensconced at college, I will have a 16 1/2 yo dd needing some classes at the community college (Marine Science, Organic Chem, things like that, possibly math, and we're thinking German as well...), I know she wants to try to volunteer at the aquarium in VA Beach as well.  She is a strong competitive swimmer (swam with RAYS, and now with the Tiger Sharks and our local Italian team).

I will have a nearly 15yo boy (who just bridged, but is nearly complete with 1st class requirements), who will be looking to get involved with a troop, and will also need CC.

Beyond that, my younger two girls will most likely both be competitive swimmers (5yo is doing incredibly well...not well enough to make the team this year, but I think she will next year at 6), And, the 7yo is also in love with swimming, and will be starting on the team.

I know there was a team that practiced at NOB, and I'm aware they are putting in a new 50 meter pool in VA Beach (YMCA).  I believe there are two AHG troops in the general area right now, too.  Just trying to find where living accommodations might be "centrally located" -- if that's even possible.

I like Isle of Wight...that's my kind of area...but I have no idea if it's remotely possible to live there and do what we need to do without driving us all a bit batty with the commutes.  We do plan to rent initially, and my dh doesn't like the idea of Chesapeake.  We have friends moving back there next May.

We live in Chesapeake and love it. This is our second time being stationed here. He has about a 20-30 minute commute in the morning and slightly longer in the afternoons, depending on when he leaves work. There is an awesome AHG group we're joining this fall. Finding a college shouldn't be a problem. TCC has branches all over  the area. The aquarium is going to be a bit  of a haul if you're  living near the Navy  Base. Depending on where you're living  though maybe she could look  into volunteering at the Virginia Living Museum? I've heard  they're  similar with lots  of different marine animals. It's only 20 minutes from us  but  we still haven't made it up there. Feel free to PM me  if you have any other questions about the area. We've been back here  about 2  years. 

There is plenty to do in the VA Beach area...but making it all come together is where it gets difficult.  Thank you for the information on West Ghent and Granby Park!  We will also be looking at NW VA Beach and south of the highway towards Landstown (where the new 50 meter pool is going in).  Fortunately, I have a little while to get accustomed to the idea, and use Google Maps and Google Earth to "look" a bit.  

I'm probably going to give a realtor fits, because our options are a bit wide.

A) Find pretty much the perfect home, that is ready to move-into (probably the least likely, due to the costs involved...)

B) Find a home that we can live with, and make updates/changes over the next 20 years. 

C) Find a lot we can build on, and hopefully rent a place while we build (has to be a cheap place, that takes a big dog and 4 kids living at home!  That might be a stretch, though.)

My "dream" house is about 2500 sq. feet, 1 story with a FROG (bonus room), and at least a 2 car garage.  And, I want to keep my mortgage under $350,000.  

Just for comparison purposes, under $350K for what you are looking for is probably not possible in West Ghent, but is possible in Larchmont, and probable in Granby Park.  I am not sure about Virginia Beach; it is probably do-able in Kempsville.

There is plenty to do in the VA Beach area...but making it all come together is where it gets difficult.  Thank you for the information on West Ghent and Granby Park!  We will also be looking at NW VA Beach and south of the highway towards Landstown (where the new 50 meter pool is going in).  Fortunately, I have a little while to get accustomed to the idea, and use Google Maps and Google Earth to "look" a bit.  

I'm probably going to give a realtor fits, because our options are a bit wide.

A) Find pretty much the perfect home, that is ready to move-into (probably the least likely, due to the costs involved...)

B) Find a home that we can live with, and make updates/changes over the next 20 years. 

C) Find a lot we can build on, and hopefully rent a place while we build (has to be a cheap place, that takes a big dog and 4 kids living at home!  That might be a stretch, though.)

My "dream" house is about 2500 sq. feet, 1 story with a FROG (bonus room), and at least a 2 car garage.  And, I want to keep my mortgage under $350,000.  

Just for comparison purposes, under $350K for what you are looking for is probably not possible in West Ghent, but is possible in Larchmont, and probable in Granby Park.  I am not sure about Virginia Beach; it is probably do-able in Kempsville.

That will be my hopeful mortgage...we should have a sizable amount to put down ;)