Menu

RC Math

vaquitita

I have been looking into the Robinson Curriculum and the math sounded horrible to me, at first. Just flashcards and then Saxon, which I have never used, but then I read this on how to actually do the early years math on the RC website:

a) I gave him the first family of addition (the ones), had him demonstrate with concrete objects that he understood the concept of adding one, and then he memorized them in order, then in mixed order. (at this stage I had him read them orally as it helped him focus and remember the whole equation)

b) We set these aside and he went through the same steps with adding two. (Concrete, in order, in mixed order)

c) THEN, we put the ones and twos together in mixed order and he (on his own now) practiced till he could get all the answers without error.(as many days as needed)

d) We set these aside and he went through the same steps with adding three. By the way, I have him learn them up to 'plus 12' because he does NOT have trouble with the teens. You may want to keep below the teens for awhile if your child cannot pronounce, count through and conceptualize these higher numbers.

e) Now that the pile has gotten larger I only add 2 or 3 new addition facts at a time and he reviews the WHOLE pile, setting aside any that he got wrong or stuck on and practicing these separately until correct before putting them away for the day.

f) Now that he is well practiced in 'doing' flashcards he only does them orally with me when he says he knows them all without error. I then add the new cards which he practices separately and then adds to the pile in random order.

g) He continues with ALL the cards each day. This review will avoid that problem of forgetting and build long-term memory. Because the majority are mastered he goes very quickly through most of the cards and only need stop and practice the ones in error.

Seeing it spelled out like this it reminds me of Ruth Beechick and Samuel Blumenfield and vintage math texts. Teaching concretely then having the child practice with flash cards instead of a worksheet.

Edited by vaquitita

Saxon is the only thing I am capable of teaching for advanced maths and calculus. End of story. I was never taught these subjects so I needed to self-teach these subjects before teaching my 2E kid. People shamed me into trying other things, and at one point I was too broke to afford the next Saxon book. NEVER again will I use anything else. If I don't have the right Saxon books, I just won't teach.

So I usually choose to start Saxon at Algebra 1 or before, although I'm perfectly happy with $0.01 copies of Aufmann for Algebra itself, if the student won't be going further. I'm restudying Saxon Algebra 1 now. It's been awhile, and I suffered that brain damage that I'm still adapting to. I have one student using Saxon Algebra 1 a little behind me, right now.

I'm using How to Tutor and Ray's for the earlier grades. Ever since discovering the Ray's Parent guide with weekly schedules, I have a whole new appreciation for Ray's. If the middle grades of first edition Saxon were still available, and I could afford it, I'd use that. But it's not anymore and i'm short on money right now.

Well, if they're doing well with Singapore, but you want to switch to Saxon for Algebra and up, I would continue through 6. Then I would have them take the Saxon placement test and start wherever they placed.

I would *expect* a kid coming out of Singapore 6 to place anywhere from 7/6 to Algebra 1, depending on how well they understood the Singapore. I would not put something in between just to slow them down.

I was considering math in focus as a way to stick with Singapore for two more years. They are so similar. Yes i need tto just forget study time. But at that age, after Singapore 6, probably it would be best to just place them into saxon.

Or MUS, that looks like another option with lots of hand holding for mom. Ok I need to just leave this alone till we are nearing the end of Singapore.

Or at least till my third child is starting school. I may need to reexamine things then in light of how independent I need my kids to be.

I think this is a good idea :p

Remember, don't fix what ain't broke.

If Singapore has been working I'd stick with it. When you run out of Singapore, I'd place into Saxon, if you think Saxon will be a good high school fit. StudyTime math is an excellent program, but I don't see it fitting into your plans.