Menu

HOD and LLATL

bethanyjoy

• 3 weeks later...

Bethany, I was sitting her contemplating the same thing. I've used LLATL in the past and am considering it again for my 8th grader. The only thing I can see being "overlap" with HOD would be the dictation exercise each week in LLATL. And that is an easy fix. Just skip either the dictation in LLATL -OR- skip the dictation in HOD for that particular day. I still haven't decided what to do...if it will be too much for my son (who needs simple)... Sigh. I keep going back and forth on English programs for him. R&S, LLATL, Easy Grammar, etc...

Thank you, Sue, for your response. So far, we have done three days of Bigger. We are using LLATL also. The only change I've made is that I don't test my daughter on the spelling words in LLATL. She does the exercises using the words, but no tests. We are using HOD for spelling. We haven't gotten to the dictation in LLATL yet, but I can see where using either that or HOD's dictation would be the best option. So far, the combination has been okay. However, my daughter isn't in the higher levels of either program yet so it may change. I hope you can figure something out!

Bethany

I don't use Rod and Staff English. I use LLATL for that.

I do dictation in both as long as they don't overlap days. If they do then I choose between the two the one that I feel addresses more words I want dd to work on, or grammar I want addressed. 

I go thru the spelling list in HOD just calling out words without dd studying them. If my dd gets any wrong I add it/them to her LLATL list. She does the spelling lessons in LLATL then.

We do the writing and book studies with LLATL.

Whoops! :Let me make a correction. When I spoke of doing dictation in HOD I was thinking about Preparing (we did a trial run to see where dd was in maturity of skills). With Bigger I found the dictation, like the spelling, to be extremely  weak until you get toward the end. I have almost completely ignored the Bigger dictation, and blew through the spelling.

Which level of LLATL are you using? We used the Yellow and are now on the Orange.