Menu

Studying abroad - apply now or wait?

Ok, DD has decided she definitely wants to go abroad. At first she was going to wait until the 2015/16 school year to apply, so she would leave in 2016. Then she started considering applying this year, so she'd leave in 2015.

On one hand she'd have two chances to apply. There are lots of kids who apply to these programs and don't get accepted the first time. She wouldn't end up doing an extra year of school (she most likely will if she goes in 2016). She doesn't really mind having an extra year but if she stayed on track she wouldn't miss prom and all that with her peers. 

On the other hand I don't know if she'll get in this year, or really be ready. She's not going to have enough French to go to Morocco with her favorite of the two programs, which would be her top choice. She also wouldn't have as much Arabic dialect as she wants. If she went in 2015 she could practice for part of the summer but that'd really be it - 2 credits of Modern Standard, 1 of French, and barely any dialect. If she waited she'd have 4 credits of Modern Standard Arabic, at least 3 years of French, plus she could practice a dialect for a longer period of time without rushing it. She'd also have more extra curriculars/community service.

I suppose my main worry about applying early is her getting accepted to a country/program she isn't sure about this year. NSLI-Y might accept her, and YES abroad might not. She'd much rather have YES Abroad, but it'd also be pretty hard turning down an NSLI-Y offer when we don't know if YES would accept her next year. Applying now also gives her a 0 chance of getting her favorite country/program. Obviously it's not guaranteed if she gets accepted, but it'd be nice to have a chance. Egypt used to be her first choice but it hasn't been available the past few years and I doubt it will change this year.

Right now I'm leaning towards telling her it'd probably be best to wait. But she also has her heart set on this and it'd hurt a lot to wait a year and then not have another chance to apply if she gets rejected the first time around.

This is her decision and if she wants to apply this year I'll write the recommendation letter and help where I can. I just want to give her the best advice.

Ok, DD has decided she definitely wants to go abroad. At first she was going to wait until the 2015/16 school year to apply, so she would leave in 2016. Then she started considering applying this year, so she'd leave in 2015.

On one hand she'd have two chances to apply. There are lots of kids who apply to these programs and don't get accepted the first time. She wouldn't end up doing an extra year of school (she most likely will if she goes in 2016). She doesn't really mind having an extra year but if she stayed on track she wouldn't miss prom and all that with her peers. 

On the other hand I don't know if she'll get in this year, or really be ready. She's not going to have enough French to go to Morocco with her favorite of the two programs, which would be her top choice. She also wouldn't have as much Arabic dialect as she wants. If she went in 2015 she could practice for part of the summer but that'd really be it - 2 credits of Modern Standard, 1 of French, and barely any dialect. If she waited she'd have 4 credits of Modern Standard Arabic, at least 3 years of French, plus she could practice a dialect for a longer period of time without rushing it. She'd also have more extra curriculars/community service.

I suppose my main worry about applying early is her getting accepted to a country/program she isn't sure about this year. NSLI-Y might accept her, and YES abroad might not. She'd much rather have YES Abroad, but it'd also be pretty hard turning down an NSLI-Y offer when we don't know if YES would accept her next year. Applying now also gives her a 0 chance of getting her favorite country/program. Obviously it's not guaranteed if she gets accepted, but it'd be nice to have a chance. Egypt used to be her first choice but it hasn't been available the past few years and I doubt it will change this year.

Right now I'm leaning towards telling her it'd probably be best to wait. But she also has her heart set on this and it'd hurt a lot to wait a year and then not have another chance to apply if she gets rejected the first time around.

This is her decision and if she wants to apply this year I'll write the recommendation letter and help where I can. I just want to give her the best advice.

One of my kids just completed an application to a special studies program. This one is a semester long online program, rather than a study abroad option. But one reason we encouraged him to apply this year is (as you noted) the fact that he might not be accepted the first year.

If your daughter is most interested in Arabic language opportunities, I think it's worth keeping in mind that unsettled situations in some of the host countries may reduce overall placements in that language.  (In other words, if Egypt is taken off the table, I don't know if the number of seats in other countries will be raised by the number lost in Egypt or if students who had been slotted for Egypt would just be declined.)  I'm not sure if there is a good expectation of having students in Egypt in 2016-17 year.  Do you know if what the last year is that students were placed in Egypt for a full program.

I think if it were my kid, I would probably be counseling that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush - or not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. In my experience, language proficiency and travel experiences have a way of opening the door for further experiences.  My own summer exchange to Germany in 1986 played a part in my later living in Germany for three years. 

Best of luck to her on applications.

Couldn't she apply to NSLI-Y just for summer next year?  Then if she got accepted to YES she could do that instead, and if she got NSLI-Y summer she could still apply for the full year programs for both the next year.  I think you can still do a full year program if you have done a summer program.

My daughter did study abroad with the Community College and there was no course requirement and it was VERY cheap compared to other programs. Also Landry Academy does the and doesn't have an education require or age requirement. If your dd is under 17yrs most of the colleges don't prefer to take them.

NSLI-Y and YES are full scholarships for high schoolers. The eligibility requirements aren't much.

If your daughter is most interested in Arabic language opportunities, I think it's worth keeping in mind that unsettled situations in some of the host countries may reduce overall placements in that language.  (In other words, if Egypt is taken off the table, I don't know if the number of seats in other countries will be raised by the number lost in Egypt or if students who had been slotted for Egypt would just be declined.)  I'm not sure if there is a good expectation of having students in Egypt in 2016-17 year.  Do you know if what the last year is that students were placed in Egypt for a full program.

I'm definitely not expecting Egypt to be available, I said I doubt it. Since YES and NSLI-Y are run by the government they're pretty strict on safety. They've quickly removed any other country with problems. There's 2 countries atm, which is more than most of the other languages which tend to be unique like Mandarin or something. Egypt isn't really on the table. I believe the last year was 2010, since they stopped it with the 2011 revolt.  YES tends to send 5-9 students to each country. I'm not sure about NSLI-Y but I believe they accept more (although it's still highly selective).

Couldn't she apply to NSLI-Y just for summer next year?  Then if she got accepted to YES she could do that instead, and if she got NSLI-Y summer she could still apply for the full year programs for both the next year.  I think you can still do a full year program if you have done a summer program.

That'd be something to consider, as it's true you can do a full year after a summer. We'd like to avoid summer due to other obligations that are also really important to her though. If she got YES she wouldn't necessarily want to go though - there are some that would be fine outside of Arabic but there are also countries that she is really against going to. They don't consider where you want to go when they accept your application but if she did get accepted having more experience with the language would definitely give her a better chance with Oman and a chance with Morocco. 

She does have till around August to choose, so it's no rush. We're just thinking.