Menu

History Portfolio/History Portfolio Junior Lapbook binders?

We used these in our co-op a couple of years ago.  We didn't really follow directions, but did use some of their ideas.  We ended up taking off the bindings so we could arrange them however we liked - the binders are more versatile than the spiral bindings, so I'd recommend using the binders.  It's nice because it forces you to think about how to arrange the work and it really encourages the use of visuals - you want your book to look nice.  I found the kids in my group put a lot of effort into making things look nice - so we had quality assignments, plus everything looked good.  Definitely something we'll keep forever.  I blogged some pictures:

http://fanningflame.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/learning-in-community/ 

We've used them! Each year I have become more and more independent in my usage. The first year, we did all the activities as suggested, by my fourth year, I just bought blank card stock and the horizontal binder and completely planned it myself. Anyway, I definitely recommend it!

Oh - and yes, I used them secularly. I added a human evolution page to the Ancients, and the biblical history bit could be changed or considered cultural literacy. After the ancients, it was not noticeably religious. We've just now done a year with a DIY non-western "World History" focus and it's gone great.

Fourcat, here's the website: http://www.homeschooljourney.com

Thanks for the real life reviews. :) My 12yo is excited about the idea of making a pretty book with her studies. I'm not sure about my other kids, but I will probably get the classic for her.

Thanks. I actually had the website info but was looking for info on what spines, if any the HP used.

I was looking at your blog today and found a wealth of info...that's going to keep me busy for hours.  ;)   Are you using the HP with the curriculum that you put together for your DD? I was looking at the logic stage Ancients.